Chapter 4- The Sorting Ceremony

HOPE POV:

"I will call out your name, and you will come and sit on this stool, and then I will place this hat on your head. It will call out your house and then you will go and sit at your house table," the strict, gray-haired Professor McGonagall called out to us first-years. "Aberforth, Nicholson!" The Sorting Ceremony carried on for a surprisingly short amount of time before Professor McGonagall called, "Malfoy, Hope!"

I was trembling as I walked up to the stool where McGonagall was waiting. I sat down on the stool and she plopped the hat on my head. 'Hmm,' the hat said inside my head, 'You're a Malfoy, are you? You're just like your mother. Raised a Malfoy, but awfully like a Gryffindor. But your mother probably put a stop to the pure-bloodedness. Well, I suppose you'd better be put in...' "Gryffindor!" the hat shouted the last word. Instead of erupting into cheers and applause, the Gryffindor table were silent, with murmurs rippling throughout the table.

 "Malfoy, Scorpius!" My brother walked up to the stool and as soon as the hat touched his head it yelled, "Slytherin!" After a few more people, it was Natalie's turn. The Sorting Hat sat on her head for over five minutes before it yelled, "Slytherin!" I felt my eyes widen and stared at her as she walked slowly down to the Slytherin table. What happened? Neither of her parents were in Slytherin, and she's not evil. BUT IS SHE?! HAS SHE LIED TO ME, MY BROTHER AND PARENTS ALL THIS TIME?! BUT WHAT ABOUT HER PARENTS?! I thought, outraged. But at least she'll have Scorpius. I thought a bit more gently.

The food was delicious. It appeared out of thin air onto our plates. I had a little bit of everything, which by the time the feast finished, I was stuffed. Professor McGonagall stepped up to the altar and dismissed us to go to our dorms after saying a speech.

Someone named Thelma McLee led us up to the Gryffindor Tower and into the common room. It was filled with squishy red and gold armchairs and wall hangings. The rugs were huge, covering most of the wooden floor. 

When I finally made it into the dorms, I flopped down on my bed and stared at everyone. "A Malfoy in Gryffindor?" someone asked me. She had reddish-brown hair and lots of freckles. "I'm Rose Granger-Weasley, by the way. But tell me, how is a Malfoy in Gryffindor?"

"My mother, Isabelle Malfoy, I'm more like her than Father, so that's why. Father was raised to be on the Dark side, but Mother made him change, he said. So that's why a Malfoy is in Gryffindor. And I'm Hope Malfoy. My mother was friends with your parents," I added on. We carried on with getting to know each other then we drifted off to sleep with my mind racing over how Nelly got into Slytherin.

NATALIE POV:

A stern looking lady had just given us first years instructions on what to do when she called our name. We were in a giant hall were the roof was bewitched to look like the sky, (a ginger girl told me knowingly.) One by one the children got called up. Sure enough Hope was in Gryffindor, but I could feel her embarrassment that no one clapped because they knew she was a Malfoy, and Scorpius was in Slytherin. No one clapped when Potter, Albus was into Slytherin. Then it was me Porter, Natalie. I stumbled forward and sat on the stool and was overcome by darkness as the hat fell over my eyes. I sat there for over five minutes before the hat said inside my head, "Hmm, interesting.Two mothers, no father. A Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw. Well that's not what I see in you at all and that is why I'm saying SLYTHERIN!" Of course I didn't think Slytherins were evil, but I truly felt sick as I slowly walked to their table. I sat down next to Scorpius who was talking with Albus Potter who was on my other side. "Oh,hi, Nelly," Scorpius said, "Surprised to see you here." I look up and down the table trying to recognise faces. "Ditto, I just don't get it. Why Slytherin? Mother was a Gryffindor, and Maman was a Ravenclaw, so why Slytherin?" Albus shook his head. "Join the club. Also you said mum twice, don't you mean dad?" I felt sorry for Albus when I realised that he was Harry Potter's son, wow, must be hard for him to be in Slytherin. "No, I mean mum twice." I blush slightly, will people judge me for having two mums? Will they think that I too am a lesbain? "Oh wow," Albus said looking at me "Is that weird? Did they use magic to, you know, have you?" Before I could answer the, stern lady gave a speech and magically food appeared for us to eat. After I was lead down to the dungeons where our common room was. I shared my dorm  with some girls, all of which seemed rude apart from one. A girl with dark hair, she was sitting on her bed with her chin on her knees, watching other girls when she looked at me. I smiled and waved. So she came over and sat with me on my bed and we talked. "Hi, my name is Feather Parkinson." I shook the girls hand, "Hi, I'm Natalie, but please call me Nelly, 'cause I hate Natalie." That night I slept well thinking about what was to come.