Back in Town

When Dipper Pines was seventeen-years-old, he made his way back to his favorite small town. Located in Roadkill County, Oregon, Gravity Falls was home to weirdness and mystery that Dipper had a seething hatred and deep love for all at the same time. While he had wanted to visit every summer, something always came up. His most recent happening being his high school marching band. Of course, his twin sister, Mabel, wouldn't go without him. He kept in touch with the people of Gravity Falls, but it wouldn't be like seeing them.

They made their way through the winding country roads that were lined with trees in the protection of Dipper's two-year-old truck. Mabel sat in the passenger's seat with one of Waddles's piglets in her lap. She still wore those stupid sweaters but had graduated from skirts to pants over the last four years. However, if Dipper was honest, he hadn't really changed much either. He still wore Wendy's old cloth hat with the cloth frayed and falling apart from years of use, but it was his signature item.

"Do you think that there will be any cute girls our age?" Mabel asked, turning toward Dipper. Speaking of being different or the same, Mabel wasn't straight in the slightest. Her whole 'boy-crazy' phase was a denial of her sexuality (as she had told Dipper when she came out to him two years prior). The light-colored pig in her lap only shifted slightly at the vibrations coming from Mabel's body as she spoke.

"I wouldn't doubt it," Dipper responded as he took a left turn, a sign reflecting in the setting sun reading 'Welcome to Gravity Falls, nothing to see here, folks!' They both let out a little cheer as they soon entered downtown.

Not much had changed about the streets of downtown. The shops were still largely the same, perhaps one or two new establishments. However, most of the open signs were turned to close. It was something that wasn't too unnerving, given the eight-thirty time. What put the Pines twins on edge was that Greasy's Diner was closed with all of the lights off. 

"That's strange," Mabel said as Dipper turned to traverse the woods leading to their favorite shack. "I wonder what's going on that has the whole town involved."

A town-wide event wasn't likely, Dipper knew. He had looked into special events going on around the beginning of June, but there was nothing. There was nothing that justified the townspeople's actions. The road to the shack was lined with the usual signs, promising people they were in for a world of wonder if they went to the Mystery Shack. The old memories sent a warm pulse through his heart that chilled in turn with the bittersweet goodbyes as they entered the bus all those years ago.

They both stepped out of Dipper's truck once they arrived at their old shack. It had been renovated, but the wooden 'S' from the sign was still on the ground, the grass growing around it. They exchanged a glance, followed by a smile before Dipper grabbed his backpack out of the cab, and Mabel cradled the small pig. The piglet was named Cuddles - a combination of Waddles and his mate, Cutie. Approaching the porch, they felt apprehensive. Why? It was just the old shack.

The moment that their feet reached the final step, a loud cheer erupted as the townspeople emerged from inside the shack. A banner fell from above, reading: "Welcome home, heroes!"

"You guys!" Mabel exclaimed, squeezing the living daylights out of Cuddles who squealed in protest. "Oh, my God!"

"Woah! You guys didn't have to do this!" Dipper said, flattered. Everybody was there, even children that neither of them knew. Most significantly, there was a little black-haired boy that held onto Wendy's hand as she waved at the twins, and a baby that Melody bounced on her hip.

"You guys saved the town when you were here last!" Wendy said. "It would be a disgrace not to!"

"Don't forget about us," said a booming voice and stood behind them were their twin great-uncles, Stan and Ford. Without missing a beat, Mabel placed her pig down on the porch, and Dipper dropped his backpack. They dove into the arms of their great-uncles, smiling as they hugged the men.