Chapter 11: J-Star- Ambush!

Start from the beginning

Kyle started again. "Look, we'll camp here. They probably don't even know they're being followed."

"How we gonna wake up?" Xao asked. "Didn't exactly pack alarm clocks."

Kyle held up his left hand, tapping a small watch. "Not a problem there. Normal human tech to the rescue."

He started fiddling with it, my own eye almost drawn, but I had to stay behind a nearby tree. "That thing has an alarm?" Xao asked.

"You know it. Took em' a while but they finally got 'em' on these things. Still got to hold a button to see the time... this is more difficult than it should be... got to keep hitting the button for the light as I work- and I only have three buttons anyway- at least it works."

"That thing expensive?"

Kyle shrugged. "About twenty bucks I think. Allen gave it to me. Birthday present."

"He really is a great guy," Xao noted.

"Yeah... we kinda scared his kid- my brother- didn't we?"

"Upset more like it- and more Judith than him I think."

"Still gonna have to apologize after we're done here."

"No kidding," Xao said with a chuckle.

Kyle laid back on the ground, hands behind his head. "Gotta love sleeping on rocks," Kyle changed the subject.

"You don't suppose that girl had nap sacks do you?"

"The cars did..." Kyle responded. "Hm... maybe I could make a deal for a sleeping bag." He chuckled at that.

"Maybe in the future, we should carry more supplies on our persons."

"In the future, we can plan that out but this isn't what any of us had in mind. Not like we've never roughed it before- just never so suddenly."

"I know." Xao looked out into the trees. "Think I'll try to find some nice grass."

"Go for it, this is elevated ground, you'll be back if it starts raining. Course I won't be able to do anything for you then, you'll be soaked and these are the only clothes we have."

Xao sighed in apparent disappointment. "We should still build a fire for warmth.... think that'll tip off the leprechauns?"

"We have a tracker on them- but if they didn't find it I doubt they know we're on their trail. Pharaohs aren't the only ones who can build campfires, doubt they'll suspect."

So that's how they knew where the aliens were!

Xao gathered firewood, apparently, he knew better what to look for for some reason. I waited, watching them set up. Kyle walked around the area a few times, visiting some rocks to- oh had to give him privacy for that...

I was starting to feel like I actually knew these two.

They set up their fire. Peering over at it while sitting against a far tree with plenty of tall grass to conceal me. I grew more and more sleepy, watching the flames and the boys as they got more and more drowsy. The fire died down. Kyle laid down, looking like he fell asleep in seconds. Xao sat and looked to be keeping watch, till his head fell down and-

(***)

I woke back up. There was a noise in the woods. Guess I would call that an um-power nap... yeah. Really without the noise I never would have woken up- probably something I needed to practice if I ever wanted to ambush someone again.