Chapter 8

Saya's P.O.V

It was the morning after the cadets chose their futures. Akane and I were chilling in the canteen on Eren duty. During this time we were playing chess.
"Checkmate!" I yelled triumphantly. Akane rolled her eyes as Eren looked at us grinning from ear to ear.
"Looks like you're finally getting the hang of the game." He grinned as he hugged me. I felt so awkward and out of place, it wasn't usual for me to be hugged. I looked over to Akane for help and she was sitting there looking rather amused trying to stifle a laugh. I smiled slightly but quickly went back to my emotionless demeanor as Captain Levi walked in. He nodded to Eren but glared at Akane and I. I looked away but Akane glared back. Levi then clicked his tongue before talking.
"The cadets have now chosen their teams so we will be gaining our new recruits. They will be running through the mission plans during their training, but for now we will be going out, so everyone get on your horses and let's go." He looked us over before he walked out the room. Was there any point in him telling us that? Why exactly are we going out when we could just sit indoors and waste time? I looked over to Akane and she shrugged, she obviously knew what I was thinking. Eren looked at us, bowed his head then walked outside as well, so Akane and I followed him.  

Loading up our horses, we left HQ and rode out to wherever it was that Levi was taking us. Looking over to Petra, I noticed her looking over at Akane and I every so often and I inwardly groaned as I realised why it was that she was looking at us concerned. She had found out that we were her children and she knew absolutely nothing about us so curiosity and concern - mainly from her - was to be expected. Putting up with it, we continued to ride on out of the HQ grounds and towards an empty area on the large land where we pulled up our horses and Petra got out a large sheet of paper with battle plans on it. Ah, so this is why. Only we were allowed to know our positions so nobody outside of our team could go against us. It was a wise plan I'll give them that. As they began talking with Akane listening where as I was not, I looked around to see Levi allowing his horse to lick his hand. My eyebrow raised at his behaviour and I gave him a funny look which he only returned with a glare before stopping and stroking his horse. I chuckled at the fact he stopped due to me watching him and I felt someone flick me on the side of my head. Turning around ready to attack I stopped when I saw Akane sitting there with a smirk on her lips, her eyes watching me amused before flickering over to Levi knowingly. So she had seen that as well.
"Um, I still don't know what this power should be used for...." I heard Eren mutter to the group. I began to tune them out as Akane listened in to their conversation and instead thought of what life would be like now that Petra knew of our existence.
"That's all the training for today. Prepare to go back." I heard a voice say as Akane flicked me on the head again causing me to groan silently in annoyance. We had only just got here and they wanted us to go back? Really? Sighing, I stood up and walked over to Harley, hopping up on to the saddle and then riding off following Levi's lead. Back to HQ we go..

When we got back it was sunset and Eren was told to clean out the stables which earned a sympathetic look from me and a laugh from Akane. Levi glared over at us, silently telling us to shut up so we did and walked inside. Although as soon as we saw the new recruits come walking in we turned around immediately as we noticed who was there.
"Hey Mikasa! Armin!" Eren called out to them as they walked. Upon hearing their names they turned round and noticed Eren. Armin noticed Akane and I in the corner of his eye and gave us a smile and a wave in greeting. "Feels like it's been a long time!" Eren exclaimed smiling.
"Eren, did they do anything bad to you?" Mikasa asked, her eyes pointedly looking at Akane and I for a few minutes before turning back to Eren where she grasped hold of his hand. "Like investigating every square inch of you?" She continued. I heard Akane laugh next to me and when I turned to face her she was watching Mikasa amused.
"I'm sure that's what you'd like to do more than any of us would love." She commented. I laughed at her comment and nodded in agreement. I'm pretty sure she would. As we were about to listen to the rest of the chatter, we heard a voice call us from inside. Making our way towards where the voice came from we saw Petra standing there looking a tad worried and not meeting our eyes.
"Yes Petra? What is it you called us for?" I asked un-bothered.
"You both knew it didn't you?" She asked curiously. So this is where the conversation was going....