Chapter 22: Final Destination

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Chapter 22

Final Destination

Sedric was putting the last file in his briefcase when David stormed into his office, his eyes ablaze and a sullen look across his features. Halting his movements, Sedric looked up and frowned. "What's wrong?" The air between David and him had been tense the past days, but Sedric had tried to act civil. David was his best friend. The guy had meant well, even if what he'd done didn't sit well with Sedric.

"I don't think you want to know," David said, sounding anything but happy. Sedric's shoulders tensed.

"Don't beat around the bush, Dave, you know I'm not a patient man." Sedric had this sick feeling he already knew what David was there for. The man had started his own little investigation to figure out who was behind the information leak that caused Sedric to loose his internship six years ago.

"Sit down, Sed," David commanded, his eyes begging with Sedric to comply. "And try not to hit anything, will you?"

"You're making me nervous." And not just a little. David was a straightforward guy, all this hesitation was making Sedric feel edgy. It could only mean one thing. Very bad news. The person behind the leak was someone they knew...it had to be.

"The girl you slept with that night was Jenna Collins, sister of Leila Collins."

Sedric's brows drew together in confusion. "Jenna Collins? Leila Collins? I don't know either of them." Their names didn't ring any bells.

"Let me help you out," David stated. "Leila Collins was the shy little redhead you screwed over in your junior year of high school. You made a bet with a few guys that you could pop her cherry within two months and you did. The girl found out and was absolutely heartbroken."

Sedric closed his eyes and exhaled a long breath, guilt eating at his conscious. He'd been young and stupid. The girl he played crushed on him for years and he'd known it. He plainly used her and probably ruined the little trust she had in guys. The worst part was that he'd never even apologized. It happened long before he met Jade, but that didn't matter. He still shouldn't have done it.

"Jenna Collins knew what happened between her little sister and you. She patiently waited for years before finally making her play. She followed you around, innocently flirted with you and constantly tried to get your attention. She set you up, Sed. She knew Jade was going to arrive home when she seduced you. While you were busy trying to run after Jade when she caught you, Jenna snooped through your stuff and decided to ruin your career as well. It hadn't been part of her plan, but she thought it was a nice bonus."

By the time David was done talking, Sedric was shaking with fury. What on earth? All of it had been a set up? The girl had known Sedric was in a relationship and wanted to tear Jade and him apart?

"The woman didn't even bother to deny it. When I knocked on her door, she happily told me the story and smiled proudly when she described the hurt look across Jade's face. That woman is nuts, Sed. You're lucky she stopped bothering you after her little plan succeeded."

Sedric wasn't really listening to his friend. All he wanted to do was either hit himself for being such a fool or strangle the woman behind the plan. He got what he did to Leila was wrong, but it didn't come close to what that woman had done. She ruined his relationship and almost cost him his career.

"I looked into it. We could sue her for stealing that information, but since it happened so long ago chances are high that it won't do much good. Besides, the damage was done. She could pay, but it won't give you your internship back or the time you lost with Jade."