We were interrupted by the sight of Kalen racing toward us.  “Come quickly,” he shouted, beckoning to us. “Kella has escaped and she took Kate with her!”

I was sure my heart couldn’t take another blow, but somehow I managed to run across the bridge with Garrick. When I glanced over at him, I saw that the look on his face was murderous. I wouldn’t bet on Kella’s survival if he caught up to her before they reached Isidril.

When we reached Kalen, he asked abruptly, “Didn’t you clip her wings?” he asked.

“We hadn’t gotten to that yet,” Kalen panted. “As soon as we were out of sight, she put some kind of spell on us. When we came to, we saw her racing through the woods with Kate in tow. I guess she enchanted her too.”

Garrick cursed and then turned to me. His voice was incredulous when he asked, “Why are you laughing?”

“Because Kate is immune to the Faery’s magic, remember? She broke the spell that enchanted you!”

“Well then why…?”

I interrupted, “She’s probably playing along to get information from Kella. However,” I added, feeling worried now, “I doubt she knows enough magic to overpower Kella and she’s so small.”

“Not that small. And I evidently know enough.”

It was Kate’s voice and we all whirled around to see her dusting herself off with a smirk of satisfaction on her face.

“Kella awaits your attention in the tower,” she said to Kalen. “She’s really excited about her new apartment.”

I stared at her incredulously. “You not only got away but you got her to come back with you willingly?”

“I do seem to have a bit of talent with this enchantment stuff. All I did was point at her and then suggest that she come with me, after she told me what I wanted to know,” Kate said, grinning. Her grin faded a little when she realized she was standing on a bridge as tons of water thundered beneath her. She hurried quickly back to solid ground. “But you should go check on her,” she told Kalen. “I’m not sure how long her good mood will last.”

After an apologetic glance at Garrick, Kalen hurried away. But Garrick was unaware of everyone except Kate.

“What did you find out?” His voice was rough with relief, even as his eyes shone with admiration.

The last of Kate’s grin faded. “Dulcina’s spell can only be broken by true love’s kiss. And the kiss is binding. She must agree to marry the one who wakes her or fall back into the enchanted sleep. Also, she is at the top of the Crystal Mountain. The sides are completely sheer so the only way to the top is to be carried by this large creature—a gryphon. The gryphon is under Orla’s control. Also, somehow Orla has released Isidril from the land—it floats freely almost a half mile above the earth. The only ones who can reach it are Faeries.”

None of us realized for a moment that Zach had joined us. He was carrying a flask. He held it up with a grimace. “The stuff in here tastes terrible, but Queen Elanor says it will help with the pain.” He looked around at us. “Why the long faces? Kate managed to not only get free but find out some valuable information.”

“Did you hear what she said?” I asked incredulously.

Zach nodded impatiently. “Yeah, yeah. Dulcina’s enchantment can only be broken by true love’s kiss. She is at the top of a sheer mountain. Isidril floats now so you gotta be able to fly.” He paused dramatically and grinned. “Or have one of those amulets that transport you.”

I slapped my hand to my forehead. It was a sign of my grief that I hadn't even considered that. “She thinks she has the only one,” I said triumphantly. “She doesn’t understand my power, so she discounted it.”

“That’s her weakness,” Zach said. “What she doesn’t understand, she ignores.” He glanced at Kate, “Like true love.” And on that cryptic note, he turned and walked away.

Garrick turned to Kate, looking puzzled. “What did he mean by that?”

Kate was smiling, but she shook her head. “I have no idea. He’s a crazy guy. I think this Oracle stuff has gone to his head.” And she turned to follow him.

Garrick and I were left standing together, both of us mystified. “Did she just make a joke?” Garrick asked me.

I couldn’t help smiling, and the grief eased just the smallest bit. “I think she did,” I said wryly.

“Well, so much for our plan to split up right away,” Garrick mused. “We’ll need an amulet to rescue Dulcina and Tania. You’ll need one to get to Cole.”

We hurried to catch up with the twins. They had turned to wait for us on the steps to the castle. Zach slung his arm around Kate’s shoulders. When we got closer, he reached out and grabbed my hand. Kate reached for Garrick’s arm, a happy smile on her face.I took the other one.

We stood there in a small circle, united in purpose. I felt more of the grief slide away, the warmth of their friendship restoring something vital within me.

“Together to Lynwellin then?” I asked.

“Together,” Kate agreed and stretched a hand out. Zach put his on top of it and Garrick and I added ours. The familiar buzz of magic, barely controlled, washed through me and my eyes widened. I could tell by their expressions everyone else felt it too.

“We can do this, can’t we?” Kate whispered. She looked at Zach.

He let his eyes catch each of ours. “Yes, we can,” declared the Oracle.

End of Part One

                To be continued…