Chapter Twenty ~ Defense Against The Pink Toad

Start from the beginning

Percy's hand snuck into his bag and tugged at the tip of his wand. He was still unfamiliar with it and found it awkward to use, but it wasn't something he could avoid. He couldn't perform spells wandless. Voice barely above a whisper, Percy chanted the incantation under his breath.

"Mr. Jackson, what do you think you're doing? I clearly said, wands away." Professor Umbridge had a keen eye for off-topic students.

Percy could feel everybody's eyes on him, waiting for his reply. Who was it that defied the teacher in the first lesson?

"It's a simple language altering incantation, I struggle to read a lot of English in one go on account of my dyslexia." Percy patiently explained.

"And so you sought to alter the language of the book in hopes to get yourself out of reading it?" Professor Umbridge immediately took off with the wrong idea.

"No, that's not-"

"I must inform you, Mr. Jackson that I will not tolerate any of your little ploys in my class."

"Can you just li-"

"In fact, I shan't tolerate any funny business in my classes." She spoke firmly.

"I read Greek easier than I read English!" Percy finally exclaimed. He twisted the book around so she could clearly see the open page was now translated into the letters of the Greek alphabet.

The argument really should've stopped there, however once Professor Umbridge's feathers had been ruffled she wouldn't back down so easily. "Regardless, I said wands away, and you disregarded that command, blatantly showing me disrespect that as an adult, I don't deserve."

Percy's mouth fell open in shock.

Respect you deserve? I show respect to those who earn it! Not people who demand it right off the bat! Who cares if you're an adult? I'll respect you if you earn it!

Professor Umbridge took Percy's expression as defeat and returned to her seat, masking a smug smile. However it didn't last long before Hermione's hand shot straight up in the air. A dark look crossed the teacher's face, but nobody was reading anymore and she couldn't ignore a student's hand. "Did you have a question, dear?" She asked. Her voice was smooth as honey, as if the previous argument never happened.

"Yes, Professor. What you've written on the board says nothing about using the defensive spells."

"What's your name, dear?"

"Hermione Granger."

"Well, Miss Granger, should you closely follow the theory-based course, you will be perfectly equipped for the exam. Besides, I cannot fathom a scenario you should need to use such spells. Least of all in my class. Are you expecting to be attacked in my class, Miss Granger?"

"Well, no but-"

"We're not going to be using magic?" Ron exclaimed. "At all?"

"Students shall raise their hands should they wish to speak, Mr..."

Ron's lip curled. "Weasley."

Hermione rose her hand into the air again. "But surely the point of this class is to practice the spells."

"Are you the teacher, Miss Granger?"

"No, but-"

"Are you, the teacher, Miss Granger?" Umbridge spoke slowly and clearly, as if speaking to a small child.

Hermione glowered at her defiantly. "No, I am not."

"Well then you are in no position to question the 'point' of my classes. This program is suitable for your age and shall teach you defensive spells in a safe environment-"