4.

4.

I gently shut the door to my room, attempting to be as quiet as possible so that I didn't wake Avery. It was only 8:00 am when I got back from taking a shower, and Avery was still sound asleep.

Things between Avery and I were still tense. We would get into petty arguments over the littlest of things. For example, yesterday she told me that I needed to clean up my side of the dorm room when the only thing that wasn't clean was my desk... that I was doing schoolwork at.

I tried my best to keep as much peace between us as possible, but she made it hard.

My phone began to vibrate in my pocket as I walked over to my  bed. Taking a seat on my bed, I pulled out my phone to see a text from Dylan.

I'm on my way up to your room. Breakfast? -Dylan

I smiled to myself. It'd been a few days since the last time Dylan and I had hung out so this text was a pleasant surprise. I'd kept myself occupied with schoolwork and phone calls to Ben that I hadn't seen Dylan, or talked to him, in a few days.

There was a knock at the door before I had the chance to respond and tell him that breakfast sounded great. I jumped to my feet and scurried back to the door, forgetting about my sleeping roommate.

"Hey," Dylan greeted with his signature side grin. "You up for a breakfast date?"

I returned the grin, nodding my head. "Sounds perfect. Let me just put on my shoes. Give me just a second."

I shut the door and turned to my closet to grab my sneakers, pulling them onto my feet.

"Was that your boyfriend?" Avery suddenly asked, causing me to jump slightly. I thought she was asleep.

"What?" I turned around to see Avery was up from her bed and standing behind me with her arms crossed over her chest. "The guy at the door?"

Avery shrugged, a few strands of her brown hair falling out of the messy bun on top of her head. "Is he not?"

Dylan was not my boyfriend, and I knew that, but I could tell that Avery was suddenly interested in  him. The thought of the two of them becoming friends did not sound very appealing to me. So, against my better judgement, I lied.

"Not that it's really any of your business Avery, but he is my boyfriend." I turned to the door, pulling it open with a self satisfied smirk on my face seeing the annoyed look on her face. "So paws off of him."

I could see the look of sudden amusement on Dylan's face as he caught on to the tension that was growing between Avery and I.

Avery's eyes were cold as she shot me a glare, unfolding her arms as she walked up to Dylan. "What would a handsome guy such as yourself be doing dating a girl like Lilly?"

A girl like me? What the heck was that supposed to mean?

Her hands snaked up to his shoulders and down to his biceps as she shamelessly checked him out. "I mean seriously, you could do so much better."

"Oh please," I huffed irritably, smacking her hands off of Dylan. "Better as in you? You are with a different guy every other day."

Avery brushed me off as if I was some annoying fly, continuing her flirting with Dylan. "With these impressive muscles you must be some sort of an athlete." Her hand went back up to Dylan's right arm as she squeezed his muscles once again. "Let me guess, football player?"

Dylan's lips curved into a toothless side grin. He was enjoying this whole situation a lot more than I was. "That'd be an accurate guess."

I knew that Dylan and I weren't actually dating, but seeing Avery flirt so shamelessly with him and him not seeing bothered by it was frustrating. Dylan was my best friend and he knew how much Avery got on my nerves and yet he wasn't putting a stop to her flirting.