They don't really need to know where we go when it's just me and you

SOPHIA

🌹

If I was being honest, I never fantasied about prom night. Prom was what all the girls daydreamed while they were in eighth grade and planned the minute they were in ninth. Meanwhile I didn't even think about it until I was a senior. I didn't have a boyfriend then so why should I care? Plus, I'd have to dance. I knew for sure they were going to play reggaeton and I don't dance reggaeton in front of people, especially people from school. I didn't even dance it around my friends. Only in my room. By myself.

It was prom day. I had my dress hanging on my closet door and my heels to the side. The baby pink dress was so captivating that it had me wanting it to be night already. The dress was pretty skin tight with a small oval opening on the chest, revealing some cleavage. I was nervous. Movies always talked about this day and what usually happened after prom night with your date. It was a huge deal. It put a whole ton of unnecessary pressure on me and honestly, I don't know if I can do it.

Zabdiel respected me. He has never made me do anything I didn't want to do. Still, he's a guy and he's done it. I know he would want to and I don't want to be a prude. God, what am I thinking?

"Why are you still in bed?! Get up!"

"Lola!" I jumped. "How'd you get in?"

"Your mom? Now hurry! We have an appointment at the salon. Oh my gosh, I can't wait!"

"Can we eat first?"

"We'll stop by the gas station. Let's go!"

Lola was definitely one of those girls who fantasizes about prom the minute she stepped foot into high school. Well, not really. Lola used to be a tomboy because she said she hated the color pink. Cause apparently that makes you a tomboy and not a girly girl. She would scrunch her nose whenever girls talked about their boyfriend or when boys came up to her. At the age of 14 she decided that love was overrated and that it wasn't for her. She laughed whenever we told her she'd eventually fall in love. She gagged whenever a couple passes by her. Of course, this all changed the day she met Joel. The girl forgot that love was "yucky" and went straight for what she wanted: him. Ever since then, prom was a big deal for her.

"I'm scared, Lola." I confessed once we were inside the car. "What if Zabdiel wants to– you know, do 'it'."

"Are we in the seventies? Just say the word, Sophie. Sex."

"Fine, whatever, that–sex. What do I do?"

She took a moment to look at me as if I were crazy. She shook her head and sucked her teeth. "Sophie, you do what you feel is right. You don't have to do it. There isn't a rule that you have to do it on prom night. If you don't wanna, don't. If you do, then go ahead! Don't torment yourself with that Sophie."

"But what if he's getting bored."

"Bro, Sophie." Lola groaned. "Zabdiel loves the shit outta you. He's not with you because of that and you know it. That dude genuinely likes you and isn't gonna dump you just because you won't have sex. And if he does do it... well then fuck him. But for real, I know he isn't like that so chill girl."

"You're right," I nervously chuckled. "He loves me and he's not with me because of that."

"Mmh, don't worry."