He swallowed hard and forced himself to move. If he did not, he was sure that he would lose the will to continue.

Promise me you will not fade...

He blinked back his tears at Charlotte's dying words. Fade he would...but not now. He had to hold on a bit longer until the battle was won.

His gazed about, almost in a lost daze, until his eyes fell upon the faces of his fallen subjects scattered at his feet. He halted.

It was no longer their faces that he beheld. Instead, he now saw Charlotte's face, sallow and grey as death snuffed out her inner light, reflected in each of their features. His breath caught in his throat, his heart twisting tightly in his chest.

Her death would always haunt him.

The swift treads of Feren approaching forced him back to the present - and back to reality. He was in the middle of a fierce battle, and now he, King of the Woodland Realm, had to think about the well-being of his subjects. He had little to no choice but to cast aside all emotions and act as their King.

Coming to a decision, he gave the order to Feren, "Recall your company." His tone sounded disembodied to his ears.

Feren complied and soon his horn blared through the air, giving the signal for the elves to retreat and return to their King's side.

No sooner had the call been given and some of his army started converging around him, Gandalf rushed towards him as fast as his aged form would allow.

"My Lord!" he huffed in his gravelly voice. Gandalf clutched his staff in his gnarled hand as he continued in a harried tone, "Dispatch this force to Ravenhill. The dwarves are about to be overrun." Gandalf paused, catching his breath. "Thorin must be warned."

Thranduil stared back at the wizard with stony silence. Did Mithrandir really expect him to send his kindred to be slaughtered? Had not enough precious blood been spilled this day?

His anger boiled forth and he now focused his ire upon Gandalf.

"By all means - warn him." Thranduil replied condescendingly as he pushed past him. "I have spent enough elvish blood in defense of this accursed land."

I have lost too much...

As he strode away, his voice wavered with emotion. "No more!"

He barely registered the wizard calling after him. He had to leave this place. Her memory was everywhere; her death reflected on every face that lay motionless on the ground. He had to escape before his emotions overwhelmed him and he succumbed to his grief. Now!

As he rounded a corner, an orc lunged at him, but he swiftly felled the creature without a backward glance. Nothing was going to stand in his way.

He stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of Tauriel blocking his escape. She stood tall with a certain resolve radiating from her.

"You will go no further!" she commanded with an air of authority. Her voice wavered slightly as she continued. "You will not turn away. Not this time."

Thranduil glared at her with all the resentment he was feeling at this very moment. The insolent elleth was standing on very dangerous ground as she proceeded to block his way, and he didn't know how much longer her could hold onto his fast fading composure.

"Get out of my way!" he snarled, his temper ready to burst forth. He did not have time, nor patience, for this.

"The dwarves will be slaughtered!" she stated, her brilliant green eyes shimmering.