Chapter 27

The bright morning rays of sunlight filtered through the crack in the curtains, shining with annoying persistence straight onto Charlotte's face. She let out an annoyed groan and burrowed deeper into the warm covers, reluctant to let go of the last remnants of sleep. As the last imageries of sleep were chased from her mind, a satisfied grin found its way on her lips: a grin that only a certain Elvenking was responsible for. Charlotte rolled over but was disappointed to find Thranduil's side of the bed cold and absent, with only his scent lingering on the sheets.

Charlotte sat up, leaning back on her elbows as she recalled the events from the previous night. She could not blame her lethargy this morning on a hangover, as Thranduil had seemed particularly determined to keep her otherwise occupied after her second glass of wine. And he had done a damn fine job of doing just that. All through the night. At least until she had fallen into an exhausted and thoroughly sated slumber, enveloped in his protective arms.

She glanced at the clock on the bedside table, noting that it was a little after nine in the morning, and sighed. Thranduil would have been up for a few hours by now, being the early riser that he was, but she had been hoping that he would be here to give her a very nice wake-up call.

Charlotte flung back the covers and hopped out of bed, absently stepping over their clothes that had been shed on the floor, and made her way to the bathroom. The rejuvenating shower fully awoke her senses and afterwards Charlotte made quick work of getting dressed in black leggings and a long-sleeved red top before heading downstairs to find her elf.

Thranduil was neither in the living room nor the kitchen, and the absence of his cloak and boots suggested that he was probably outside. Charlotte decided to make a cup of tea while she waited for his return. She happened to glance out of the window and witnesses a scene that bought a smile to her face.

Thranduil and Tallagor were standing in the snow, which glistened like a quilt of glittering diamonds in the morning sunlight. The proud and regal Elvenking faced the mighty moose, an enigmatic smile alighting his luminous features as he produced an apple from a bag and fed it to his new pet. Tallagor happily munched away on the crisp, juicy fruit and when Thranduil turned to gaze into the distance, the cheeky animal nudged the elf, clearly demanding more.

Thranduil openly laughed at his antics, his eyes crinkling at the corners as he stroked Tallagor's nose. Charlotte was certain he was reprimanding the animal for his gluttonous ways, though only half-heartedly.

The boiling kettle cut through Charlotte's thoughts and she proceeded to make a cup of tea before shoving on her jacket and boots. She paused and decided to grab a few carrots from the fridge before heading outside to join them.

Thranduil and the moose both turned around at her approach and Charlotte held up the carrots enticingly, determined to get on friendly terms with Tallagor. She was still wary of him and felt it wouldn't hurt to butter him up a little bit. After all, she did not possess Thranduil's charismatic ways and had to rely on bribery instead.

"Don't encourage him, Charlotte. Tallagor has proven to have a greedy appetite," Thranduil stated, though the warm glint in his eyes contradicted his disapproval.

Charlotte fed a carrot to Tallagor and grinned wickedly at Thranduil. "Reminds me of you."

"I am not greedy," he replied evenly. Except, maybe, when it comes to wine.

"No, but you sure had the appetite last night."

Thranduil narrowed his cerulean eyes at her, a coy smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "When it comes to you, then yes, my appetite knows no bounds," he replied smoothly, taking a predatory step towards her.