Chapter 31

"Is he going to be okay?"

"That is, indeed, the question," Thranduil replied as his keen eyes narrowed in on a particular spot somewhere deep in the dense woods. The sun high in the sky cast a glorious glow to the ethereal Elvenking, though it did little to diminish the biting cold.

"It's just...he's been there for a few hours now." Charlotte turned her worried gaze to the elf beside her, who stood tall and composed.

The corner of his mouth twitched, no doubt trying to suppress his amusement at the situation.

"Yes, a whole bag of prunes would put Tallagor in a certain amount of...distress." A wide, cheeky grin finally cracked through the stoic facade and Thranduil glanced down at her with a mischievous twinkle in his ice blue eyes. "Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to give him those."

"I didn't plan to! I couldn't find anything else, and I thought I'd give him one or two, but the bugger snatched the bag right out of my hands and galloped off with them."

"A mistake I'm sure he won't make again," Thranduil chuckled.

A soft breeze whispered through the trees and fingered the loose strands of her hair as they stood on the back porch of the cabin. Charlotte absently swiped away the annoying strand tickling her nose and turned her sights once more to the line of trees ahead.

"They won't hurt him, will they? It was a rather large bag."

"I'm sure he'll be just fine."

A loud, pitiful and drawn out wail echoed back to them, disputing Thranduil's claims.

"Maybe we should go and check on him..."

"Best not to," Thranduil objected.

"Why?"

"If the smell is anything to go by at this distance, then you most certainly do not want to be any closer to Tallagor than necessary right now."

"Ah." Charlotte crinkled her nose. "Wait, you can smell him from here?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Thranduil replied, his tone of that of mild distaste.

Charlotte grinned widely at him. "I bet this is the one time you regret having a far superior sense of smell than humans."

Thranduil merely smiled at her remark, though his gaze never left the line of trees. Another mournful bellow sounded, followed by a few frustrated sounding grunts.

Finally, the elf turned with a flourish, his cloak fluttering around his ankles, and turned his full attention to her.

"Best we leave him to it. Let nature take its course, and all."

Charlotte cast a doubtful glance back at the spot where she presumed Tallagor was, but had to trust that Thranduil was right and everything would work out in the end for the moose.

"So, what do we do in the meantime?"

Thranduil's gaze darkened as his eyes slowly raked over her form, and Charlotte felt herself go weak-kneed, her belly fluttering in anticipation for what she was sure to come.

Thranduil closed the distance, his arm snaking around her and his hand coming to rest on the small of her back as he drew her flush against him.

Her pulse quickened as his velvety soft lips brushed against the shell of her ear, causing her to shiver.

"I can think of a few things..."

His tongue darted out and he slowly and deliberately tasted the flesh on her neck. Charlotte angled her head to give him better access, her mind quickly turning to mush.