“This is Kaylee, Kaylee this is Roderick.” He introduced me to the boy and he smirked at me.

“This your bitch or something?” He laughed.

“No.” I growled.

“Uh nah just a friend.” Jonathan said sensing my anger rising. We followed Roderick over to the other people who were all sitting under a tree on the grass smoking or drinking. I sat down next to Jonathan squinting in the dim light as a bottle was passed to me.

“No I don’t drink.” I said passing it on.

“Oh Johnny you brought a baby?” One of the boys spoke up.

“I’m not a fucking baby because I don’t drink. I’m thirteen and shouldn’t even be here!” I shouted back at him. Jonathan tensed up beside me shooting me daggers.

There were flashes of lights and before I knew it everyone ran into different directions.

“Good going kid. Now the cops found us. Later.” Roderick huffed running past me. I looked for Jonathan but couldn’t find him, great he ditched me! All of a sudden I felt a hand in my wrist and was being pulled forward. I looked over to see Jonathan running.

We managed to run off onto the street leaving the little stoners behind. “I can’t believe you brought me drinking! You know I don’t do that!” I groaned sticking my hands in my pockets.

“Sorry… I thought it’d be fun… I shouldn’t have brought you.” He said staring at his shoes as we walked down the dark street.

“Whatever. Just don’t do it again and you don’t go either! That’s a bad habit you could get into! I mean look where my father is because of that. Promise you won’t do any of that stuff ever? I don’t want to lose someone else.” I mumbled the last part to myself hoping he hadn’t heard it.

“I promise. You won’t lose me, it’s impossible.” I looked up to see Jonathan smiling sweetly down at me. I sighed and the rest of the walk home was a nice peaceful silence between us.

*3 years later*

“Uh…hey.” Jonathan said coming up to me in the hallway at school. He looked nervous, just the way he wouldn’t look me in the eyes worried me.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” I asked shoving the last of my books in the locker.

“Nothing I just want to ask you something…” He finally looked up at me and was biting his lip with a nervous glaze over his eyes.

“Yeah sure what is it?”

“Well we have known each other forever. You’re literally my best friend, I trust you with my life. Uh I always thought you were beautiful and I always wanted to call you something more than just my best friend…” He trailed off looking down at his shoes.

I felt butterflies in my stomach. Was this happening?

“I figured we are both 16 now… and a bit more mature… basically will you be my girlfriend?” He asked abruptly throwing me off guard. I hesitated at first thinking this over. I just looked at him. From his tussled brown hair to those chocolate brown eyes, his sweet little dimples and perfect smile I couldn’t really say no? Right?

“Yes!” I smiled hugging him tightly. He sighed burying his face into my neck.

“Thank you.” He laughed nervously. He stood back and placed a feather light kiss on my lips but that alone left my heart pounding out of my chest.

*Present day*

“Kaylee! Hello!?” I was ripped out of my little flashbacks due to screaming.

“Oh yeah sorry…” I smiled lightly sitting back up.

“It’s alright… we decided we were going to go to the amusement park today!” Niall exclaimed jumping up and down.

“Great I can’t wait! I love rollercoasters!” Riley and I said at the same time.

“Jinx!” We both yelled before doubling over in laughter.

“Girls.” All the boys groaned rolling their eyes.

We all got up and walked to the front of the building as we waited for the car. It was insane how we all just met an already felt like best friends and got along great.

As we stood waiting my phone buzzed and I pulled it out looking at the text.

Call me we need to talk. –Jonathan.

I looked at it and read it once more before shutting off my phone and sticking it back in my pocket. I looked over at Niall and smiled noticing he was already looking over. He looked away flustered which was adorable. Today would be fun.

‘No worries just fun’ I repeated to myself smiling happily.