Five elements for a bitter drink

Start from the beginning

     What is it? He asked her with no words. Dilruba realised that he was becoming sober and his mouth were sealed now, for words and smiles, otherwise. But what about a kiss? Her bashful mind asked. She flushed and looked away as he noticed she was staring at his lips.

      "Dilruba." She said and he placed his cup on the table. "Say it." She said. He stared at her for one intense moment. Her eyes skipped to his lips and she imagined how it would be to taste them. She was a whore, lust wasn't new to her. Her clients would've been grateful is she kissed them willingly.

     But this wasn't just want, Dilruba thought. This was something more. But she wouldn't be here tomorrow. He wouldn't be in her life anymore.

Her want seemed to win as she rose to sit on the diwan beside him. His eyes widened and he tried to look away and she caught his face with her palm. His eyes swirled like the bitter liquid he had offered her. His gaze burned and scorched her as it was steady on her lips. Good. He wanted her too.

   She leaned and kissed him first. He tasted of bitter coffee and plum wine. His fingers gripped her face as he kissed her back.

     "Dilruba"

   A shiver passed right from her toes to her heart. No! She reined in her heart. She pulled away from him and stood up. He looked aloof and lost. She paced to and fro hugging herself.  She mustered courage and said , "That is my name. Not Sherezaade."

      She braced for his anger but was met with silence. He flicked his head and his hands made a gesture. I don't understand.

       She took a deep breath and sighed, "I am not the nobleman's daughter;
Shehrezaade. I am Dilruba."

      He frowned and stood up towering over her, "I know that you're not Sherezaade. Sherezaade is what I call you."

     "What?" She asked. "Okay. I am not the nobleman's daughter. He paid me to be in that room when your soldiers arrested me."

      "You're not Siraj's daughter?"

       "Honesty, I didn't even know that was his name."

      "Why reveal it now?"

She looked at him incredulously. "Because I am not the girl you meant to bring here. Free me. I am not her."

        He took a sharp breath and stepped back, "It is not upto me."

          Dilruba scoffed as if disbelieving what she was hearing. "You're the king. You can free me if you wish."

        "You wouldn't be here if it were my wish." He looked at her full of pity and guilt.

          "Let me go! Please! I am not her!" She begged as her voice cracked and sobs filled her chest.

          "Dilruba...Nothing can save you now. Thirteen days." He said that and left. She let out another sob.

      She ran to him and held his arm desperately.

          "Take me to him!" She said in urgency. He turned back facing her with fire in his eyes.

           "Take me to the man that was here that night. I will plead my case."

      The mad king let out a sorrowful laugh, "Your naivety is refreshing."

           It felt like he had slapped her. The man she had kissed moments ago. One who kissed like moonlight, soft and light. On the contrary was such a cruel monster.

       "Take me to him." She said as she approached him. She stepped back until she reached the window. "Or I'll throw myself out of this window."

       He did not seem the least bit bothered. His raised brow mocked her, you wouldn't dare.

     "I would. It's better than dying for whatever your cause is. I will make sure you get nothing from me. You understand?! Nothing! Take me to him!" She screamed like a mad woman.

   ***

   The old man stood across from them, his face marred with wrinkled. But his storm eyes told her, he was danger himself.

          She relayed to him that she wasn't the nobleman's daughter and there was silence. The silence was maddening to Dilruba. The man smiled. It was a terrifying smile that sent goosebumps across her skin.

       "Kismet." The old man said and that was it. She was dragged out by the mad king. Dilruba knew what it meant. It was fate that brought her here and her fate was to die.

      Her legs lacked the strength to bear her and she slumped to the ground. He held her before she hit the ground. His arms carried her effortlessly to her chambers. He laid her on the bed and he sat on an armchair in front of her.

Dilruba felt a miserable tear escape jer eyes and slid down her nose to the cushion. She weeped silent tears for her fate and all the while he listened to the  words she never said.

  ***

    She woke up after a while. She sat up abruptly. The oil less lamp was flickering casting a dim light around the room. Her eyes burned from  crying as she looked around and found him by the window. His large sinewy frame blocking out a portion of the landscape. Her throat seemed cotton laden. She poured herself a glass of water and drank it greedily.

     At her noise, she saw him slightly tilt his head. Then she watched him. The night was silent and slow, dragging on her agony.

       "A thousand gold coins." She croaked.

    The mad king turned around to face her and leaned his back on the window, crossing his arms over his chest. He simply stood and listened.

       "The nobleman gave me a thousand gold coins to be in his daughter's chambers that night. I sealed my fate with just a thousand gold coins." She played with the thread of her skirt. She laughed. It was a sad laugh,one that mocked her fate.

      "I would've demanded more if I knew this was going to happen. A thousand is too less. I am not worth just a thousand gold coins." Men used to beg her for a night and promised her gold and silver. In the end, her worth was a thousand gold coins.

      "How much do you think I should've demanded?" She asked him without looking at him. If his breaths didn't make a  sound, she would've thought him a statue.

      "The truth. "

        She held out her hand to him and he after a lot of thought, caught it. For a man with such cold eyes, his hand was suprisingly warm. "Come, sit. Do you want to listen to the story?"

       He sat by the edge of the bed and let her hand go. "Only if you wish to tell." She drew up her knees and rested her chin on it. "I think it would make me feel better.

     "Go on." He said.

     "It so happened..."