Chapter 4: Hello Again

Start from the beginning

Sungjae turned off the light and slid down into his bed. Within a few minutes, he was sleeping again.

--

"You can't be serious."

Sungjae looked across the table in disbelief at Dong Wook who returned his stare with a patient look on his face.

"What do you mean I need a bodyguard?" Sungjae asked. Beside him, Changsub scribbled something into his notebook.

"Exactly that," Dong Wook laced his fingers together. "You need a bodyguard."

"For what?"

"For your protection,"

"Why do I need protection? I'm only going on a business trip," Sungjae tapped the table irritably. He liked Dong Wook and was grateful to him for giving him a position in his company, but he only wanted to work on his projects.

Dong Wook motioned for his secretary to turn off the lights before he activated the projector in the room. "Yes, you're going on a business trip," he agreed. "But it's not only a business trip."

"It's a secret negotiation with another company. We're discussing a merger."

"But why do I need a bodyguard? I'm not a businessman."

"No, you're not," Dong Wook agreed. "You won't be doing the negotiation. I am."

"So why do I need a bodyguard if I'm doing nothing?"

"Because you're our best and brightest," Dong Wook replied, giving him a charming smile. "You're going to be going to one of their secret laboratories."

"And this secret laboratory is dangerous?" Sungjae looked unconvinced.

"Accidents happen," Dong Wook gently reminded him.

Sungjae was instantly mollified. Dong Wook seized on his chance and told him, "Go and see if you like what they're doing."

Sungjae raised an eyebrow, "And if I don't?"

Dong Wook leaned back into his chair, "Then we don't do the merger."

Changsub whistled low and looked over of Sungjae who was considering the deal out loud.

"If I like it, we do the merger," he mused. "If I don't, we don't do the merger.

"If I go, I can see another laboratory..." Sungjae's voice drifted off as images of a laboratory flashed in his mind. He lifted his hand to his head as his eyes twitched in reaction to the images.

"Sungjae?" Changsub was instantly worried. "You okay?"

"Yeah hyung," Sungjae lied. "Just thinking about the deal gave me a headache."

He stopped massaging his temple as he looked up at Dong Wook who was looking at him with a worried gaze.

"I'll go," Sungjae said.

"Are you sure?" Dong Wook asked him.

"Of course."

"With a bodyguard?" Dong Wook prompted him.

Sungjae nodded silently, knowing that his acceptance on this condition was the clincher.

"Excellent!" Dong Wook clapped his hands enthusiastically.

"Because we've already found a bodyguard for you," he said looking at Changsub who was suddenly preoccupied with his pen.

Sungjae gave his friend a glance that said, 'We'll talk later,' before returning his attention to Dong Wook, who was paging someone on the intercom.