Chapter 1: Y/n's pov

Y/n's pov

The toll for the stairway up above is getting higher. There isn't really anywhere else for me to go. The only damn thing I do is lean on the rails and "admire" the city from here. There's nothing else to do. Do I have any friends around these parts? No. I don't expect myself to have any friends anyways. Family? Yeah, I got them. I'm just an only child. My parents are basically thieves. That's how we survive. They steal food, supplies, and many other things. But, that doesn't mean we get away with that shit so easily. They expect me to do the same thing that they're doing to survive.

I have my own way of surviving though. My dad's way of teaching me how to survive is fighting. I never really took an interest of such violence. I didn't really care how pathetic my life is. All I cared about was my family and myself. That's all.

I didn't need any friends to give me encouragement, kindness, no. I don't need "kindness" I'm not exactly the nice type of person. A lot of people in the underground city know me though. I would say most of them do. And that's mainly because of my parents. But, they always talk about how I don't smile or laugh, or even show any sign of happiness.

You could say I'm well, "heartless." I don't care if someone calls me that kind of crap. It's not my problem they don't like me. But if they get onto my last nerve, I'll beat the shit out of them. What can I say? I'm a cold person.

"Tch. Isn't there going to be anything not boring today?" I sighed in disappointment. "Okay then." Is what I said in my head as I stretched my arms from staying in that same position for half an hour. I crossed my arms as I usually do and walked down the rocky and broken staircase. I noticed the same big hole in the middle of the staircase. Tilting my head to the window on my right I notice two people with light brown cloaks with their hoods on. My parents.

I eyed the hole again and grunted as I jumped down to the ground. It wasn't as high as it looked like from the staircase honestly. I landed with both my feet on the ground and with my right hand touching the floor. I dusted off the pebbles and dirt off my clothes and crossed my arms once again.

"Y/n.. you should really be more careful." My mom whispered to me. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked passed them letting my long black hair cover my face.

 I just shrugged my shoulders and walked passed them letting my long black hair cover my face

(imagine without the bangs I'm sorry)

"Y/n." My dad said as he gripped my shoulder with his hand. I didn't look back at him. "What? I'm going back home." I said closing my eyes in annoyance. "Y/n don't make a scene.. why don't you try making some friends? You know... in case me and your father won't be here to protect you anymore." My mom said, sounding hesitant. "Mom, dad. You already know I don't need any friends." How many more times do I need to repeat this shit?

"But, y/n dear-" My dad said taking a step towards me. I growled quietly, gritting my teeth and clenching my crossed arms tighter. I sighed and kept walking forward. "It's y/n! Look!" I heard people pointing and looking at me in fear and disgust. "Where's her parents though?" One guy said. "Are they finally dead?" The other guy snickered as he thought I didn't hear those revolting words come out from his mouth.