35

Rosie sat on the edge of her bed, her mane tangled and covering her messy face. She had managed to cry her make up away and nearly lose her voice. It had been hours since she made it home. There was absolutely no sign of Jeremy which hurt her.

She rummaged through her drawer, frantically searching for her medication to recover. Taking her pill bottle out, she dumped a pill into her clammy palm then swallowed it. She couldn't let it drive her crazy. Jeremy loved her. Her mind was playing games on her and she just needed rest.

It was only 5 AM when Rosie bounced up. She looked at Jeremy resting beside her. Sighing in content, she shot her mother a text message to let her know she was fine. Then, she snuggled underneath her man and went directly back to sleep. Finally, the issue came and she woke to his phone vibrating.

She grabbed it to see "Auntie Jac" calling. She giddily answered eager to speak with his family. "Hello?"

The line fell silent then there was a click. Rosie stared down at him then she grabbed her phone, saving the number and reminding herself to use it to her advantage later.

The morning rolled around and Grace was standing in her mirror, fixing her make up. Michigan watched her from the doorway with her belly bump showing through the white dress. Camino had ordered everyone to wear white because he didn't want the mood to be too dull. Michigan or Grace didn't particularly care for funerals but Michigan had pushed Grace to go.

Lately, Michigan had been feeling horrible. It was as if she had something to do with the death of her once vibrant aunt. Her mother had convinced her that Sharon just didn't handle heartbreak well. Camino didn't lay it easy on her in the first place by jumping with the young girl, Destinny.

People, friends and family, poured into the church. Grace had not viewed Sharon's body because her stomach was weak. She didn't think she could stomach the sight of the lady. Although their last encounter was sour, Grace still didn't wish death on her. As she sat in the pew, the sound of cries and others praying drowned her out of her thoughts. Michigan was seated next to her mother and tears filled both of their eyes.

Grace attempted to soothe her by rubbing her belly but that only agitated Michigan, and her condition was no good. She raced out of the sanctuary as more people came in. Grace followed after seeing that Michigan's mom was too busy crying to console anyone.

Just as she was doing so, Dominic was sitting in the men's bathroom with his head in his hands. He tugged at the neck of his suit to get more oxygen. The tears he cried were beginning to make his throat burn. His stomach was twisted so bad that it almost felt as if no organs existed. He never knew that when his mother died she would also take his soul with her.

He squeezed his eyes shut to stop the tears but he became so weak that the they did not stop. Dominic was afraid that if he continued crying he would cry his heart out- literally. It already felt as if the body part wasn't working correctly in the first place. Grabbing more tissue and wiping his tears, he exited the bathroom.

Grace leaned against the bathroom door with her head on the panel. Their eyes met once Dominic exited the bathroom. It was so many emotions going through the two of them. She wanted to let the past be the past finally, but his presence nearly broke the wall she had built towards him. Dominic understood the body language she was giving off, simply walking away.

Grace turned towards the door and closed her eyes while exhaling a deep breath.

"You don't have to ever love him like you normally would, but don't completely shut him out." Michigan said opening the door all the way. She had watched from the small crack in the door, and it broke her heart to not see him get bubbly like he used to when she bought Grace around.

"Let's just go. Are you good?"

After the burial, everyone headed to Miss Ann's home to eat. Khalil fixed Grace her plate and they ate together in the comfort of his bedroom. Khalil was staying with Miss Ann because his mother was in jail behind shoplifting. She was only trying to provide for him and his three youngest sisters who lived with their father in Alabama.

"Be honest, you miss Dominic?" Khalil inquired, oblivious to the physical abuse. She shrugged while sipping her orange soda. He laughed lightly then stood up. "You might do, but a nigga going to get more 'tater salad. I'll holla."

She laughed while sitting her plate aside, then stared at the obituary laying on the end table. Grabbing it and opening it, she sighed heavily simultaneously reading the poem. It saddened her to have Sharon go before they could even apologise to one another. She actually felt bad but her mood went even more sour when Dominic stepped in.

"Can I talk with you?"