Chapter Three

I grabbed the last slice of toast off my plate before heading out of the kitchen. “Oh, I’ll wash your plate then!” Faye shouted after me. I ignored her as I rushed out of the house. I’d slept in late thanks to James insisting I stayed on the phone to him last night.

“Wait!” Anna called just as I was about to shut the front door behind me. I huffed impatiently as I turned to look at Anna who handed me an envelope with my name and the flat address on it. “Thanks, bye,” I said before rushing down the street.

As I arrived at the cake shop I checked my watch to see that I was right on time. “Good morning, Julie,” I almost sang as I entered the shop. She smiled. “Did that boy keep you up last night?” she asked and I looked at her wide-eyed before laughing and shaking my head.

“Do you mind if I just read this letter before I start?” I questioned, sitting down on the sofa in the back of the shop. She hummed in reply so I began opening the envelope. I didn’t receive letters often so every time I did I got a little overexcited. Inside the envelope was a folded piece of lined paper. As I unfolded it I noticed it was slightly ripped down the left side. My eyes skimmed over the paper to the bottom. It was from James.

To sum it all up, he was basically asking me to be his girlfriend. I took my phone out of my pocket and tapped in a text to James. Yes. I stood up from the sofa, shoved the letter into my back pocket and my phone in the front before starting my shift.

James had made it through the arena auditions and had been put in a band at boot camp. I was so proud of him and now I got the satisfaction of knowing I was his rather than doubting if I was good enough for him. There were eight members of the band James was in which I had to admit was unique but in a good way. It was Friday and the judge’s houses were on television tonight. James wouldn’t tell me if they had gotten through or not because he wanted me to watch it.

On my way home from work I received an email telling me that X Factor tickets for the live shows were now available to apply for. So I filled in the form, sent it off and hoped I’d get them. I grabbed some pizzas from the takeaway down the road from the flat before rushing home.

Faye and Anna were home already as they’d booked the afternoon off work to go shopping. “I have pizzas,” I announced as I entered the kitchen. The girls took the pizza boxes off me and put them on the table along with three plates. “Two hours until X Factor,” Faye told me excitedly as I sat down at the table. I chuckled as I bit into a slice of pizza.

When 8pm finally came around we made ourselves comfortable on the sofa with two large blankets and several pillows. I sent James a quick Snapchat of the three of us before the show started. The band didn’t come on until most of the others had performed. And I think it’s safe to say that they killed it. I sent a text message to James. Killed it, Babe. He replied with a smiley face.

Just as the band were about to find out if they were going to the live shows or not my phone buzzed. I checked it to see I had an email confirming that I had tickets for the X Factor live show next weekend. “It’s not good news,” I heard Louis say; “it’s great news.” I jumped up from the sofa and squealed. Faye and Anna stared at my wide-eyed, trying not to laugh.

“I have three tickets for the X Factor live shows next weekend,” I told them. Anna jumped up from the sofa and hugged me excitedly. “Wait. We’re going to London?” Faye asked and I nodded. She jumped up and hugged me. “I’m going to see James,” I said, beaming from ear to ear.

I decided against telling James that I had tickets for the first live show next weekend. I wanted to surprise him.