Chapter One: Disorientated

Start from the beginning

Daisy's mother smiled when she entered the kitchen, the smell of Earl Grey lingering. She had combed her hair and applied a lick of makeup, which made her look more like her old self, before the diagnosis. After having a cup of tea and some biscuits the atmosphere was back to normal. Their conversation drifted to what her mother was going to do whilst Daisy was at work and what she was going to have for her dinner.

After reminding her that she did not have to worry about dinner and tea because the carers would do that, Daisy headed upstairs to get ready for work. She ran the straighteners through her shoulder length hair and shimmied into her dark green dress. Usually Daisy only wore mascara but today she acknowledged the dark circles under her eyes and the high profile event they were runnig today. She pulled out foundation, concealer and a nude lipstick.

Just encase a photograph is taken...

Before leaving, Daisy filled up the navy tea pot so she would not worry about her mother using the kettle. She also reminded her that her mobile number was on the coffee table and on the fridge. Her mother told her she already knew that and that she knew that the buzzer around her neck would contact the carers, if she needed it. Whilst Daisy knew that her mother was okay, for the time being, she couldn't help but feel guilty as left.

~*~

"Daisy, it's lovely to see you," Carlos, the owner the mobile events company Blissful Blooms cheered as Daisy walked into the back of the venue where the event was being held today.

"Carlos," Daisy grinned walking over to the 63-year-old and planted a kiss on both of his cheeks. "I'm so sorry I'm late, mum had an episode,"

Carlos placed a had on her shoulder and squeezed. He too, had gone through looking after someone who had Alzheimer's and understood how demanding it was. He stood at the same height as Daisy, 5ft 5 and his hair was greying. Daisy thought that it suited him and that the wrinkles around his eyes and mouth showed that he had lived a life filled with love and happiness.

He reminded Daisy that she didn't need to worry and that he understood. When she moved back after her first year at University, Daisy had contacted all the event planning companies in London but Carlos was the only one to interview her. 

"You should bring you mother around for lunch, I'm sure Linda would love the company," Carlos suggested as they were preparing the centre pieces for the music event that was being held there this evening.

I don't know, would she cope with unfamiliar places and unfamiliar company?

"I think she'd love that. She probably gets fed up of speaking to me and the carers all of the time," Daisy laughed. Daisy was appreciative of Carlos and his wife, Linda, who took a chance on a 21-year-old girl who had dropped out of University.

"Well, I'll speak to Linda tonight and see when she's free. She's been dying to meet you mother for a long time," he smiled and observed Daisy as she slipped one of the lilies into the crystal vase. "That arrangement looks perfect, your skills seem to be improving. I'm going to check on the caterers," he smiled and left Daisy to continue sorting out the venue.

After setting up the twenty-eight tables Daisy ensured that all the centre pieces and glasses on the table were clean and placed properly. At lunch time, Daisy called home to check on her mother, to make sure that she was okay. Her mother reassured Daisy that she was fine and that she had just had a cup of tea and a tuna sandwich.

Daisy relaxed after hearing this as last month, her mother was taken into hospital as she was dehydrated. She hadn't been drinking or eating enough whilst Daisy was at work. That was the driving factor in recruiting carers to support her mother at lunch and dinner times.

Daisy was apprehensive about the venue and the event that they were completing today. This was the biggest and most high-profile event they had planned. It would either make or break for Daisy and the company.

It was an event that she had planned, the first one that Carlos let her take the lead on. Which, Daisy believed, was deserved as she was the one who had secured the booking for them. In the past year, Daisy had tripled their intake, changed the direction of the company and increased their exposure on social media which caught the attention of the BRITS.

The past five hours flew by. The caterers had arrived, and the hall was flooded with the aroma of vanilla and chocolate. The flowers on the tables, along the front of the stage and the Instagram wall was breath-taking, as expected. Blissful Blooms were hired and known for their flower arrangements and their elegant executions of the events.

It was moments like these, when the events were coming together, Daisy was happy that she had come back. She was learning more about events management on the job than she had at University, plus she was earning an income.

"Daisy, have you managed to write the table setting out? People will be arriving shortly, and you know that Linda, the boys and I don't have the neatest writing," Carlos laughed.

"I'll get onto it now. Can you just go around and check that things are all set up and maybe get Jake and George to move the flower wall down a bit? The table in front of it is blocking it so for photos it'll be in the way." Daisy asked, smiling as she took the silver pen and paper from Carlos.

Daisy walked to the entrance of the hall and started writing the names of all the musicians who were attending the evening. Whilst Daisy rarely listened to music, she could not help but feel excited that these performers, including Little Mix and Ariana Grande, would be seeing her work. After writing the final name, Daisy placed the lid on the pen, shook her aching hand and stepped back.

"Whoa," a man stated, causing Daisy to jump. She turned around and noticed that some people had been waiting patiently while she was filling the board.

"Sorry. I hope you haven't been waiting too long. I hope you have a fabulous evening," Daisy smiled, stepping out of the way "please feel free to grab a drink from the bar and have a look around."

The man with short styled brown hair smiled. "Thank you..."

"Daisy. Have a lovely evening." she smiled, walking away from the entrance where there was a long line of celebrities waiting to enter.

"You too Daisy," he called after her.

Daisy's hand absentmindedly went to hair and smoothed her side fringe. She could not help but let out a little chuckle. Her cheeks flushed red and she bit her lip. Kyle Rhodes really is as charming as the media makes out.