Chapter 10

Tampa, Florida

I woke up that morning at around eight o'clock, which wasn't a far cry from when I usually rolled out of bed back home.

After showering, throwing on a sweatshirt and shorts, and making some attempt to pull my hair back into a bun, I tied my feet into my shoes and opened the door with the intention of stepping out of the room.

Instead, I found myself face-to-face with Aiden, causing me to jump back in surprise. "What do you want?"

"Good morning to you, too." She replied, crossing her arms and putting on a mischievous smile. "Normally, I'd reprimand you for your tone, but I'll let it slide today."

I raised an eyebrow. "You make it sound like today is important, somehow."

She nodded, reaching a hand into her jacket pocket and pulling out a turquoise blue envelope.

"What's that for?" I asked, taking it from her and looking it over. "Shoot, did I forget about another holiday? Nat'll kill me if I forget about another holiday."

Sighing sadly, Aiden gestured to my pocket. "Have you checked your phone yet this morning?"

I shook my head.

"Check it, please."

Doing as she asked, I turned my phone on and checked for any possible notifications.

There was one missed text from my sister.

Nat

«HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUU»

"Ohh," I looked back up at Aiden, "it's my birthday."

She sighed again. "You are the only person that I know who is able to forget her own birthday."

"It's just another year older." I said, rolling my eyes. "Thanks for the card."

"You're welcome." She forced a smile. "Are you ready to go eat?"

I nodded, fitting the card into my own jacket pocket and following her down the hallway to the elevators.

"Hey, Aiden?" I asked as we stepped through the sliding metal doors.

"Yeah?"

I looked over at her. "You didn't tell anyone else about my birthday, did you?"

She scoffed, shaking her head. "No, of course I didn't."

"Good." I shuddered. "The way those boys act, I'd never be able to live it down."

"You know, people celebrate your birthday because they love you."

I gasped in mock surprise. "You love me?"

She groaned, digging the heels of her hands into her eyes. "Please stop being so difficult."

"No."

(Hi folks this next scene contains instances of reckless driving. Please do not try this at home and note that I do not necessarily condone or recommend the actions of the characters. Thank you.)

After she and I had eaten breakfast, which I had to stop her from paying for, we ventured back to the hotel to pick the boys up for an afternoon rehearsal.

Luckily, the production team had decided to treat us with the option of rental cars while we were in Florida, making the commute from the hotel to the theater a lot quicker.

Quicker, that is, unless Sky was driving.

"You can go a little faster, Sky." Aiden commented gently, trying not to let the impatience show through in her voice.