Chapter 5

Los Angeles, California

My grip tightened on the rubber duck in my hand as I let out a slow, controlled... exhale. "I've retyped you three times, there is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't be working."

The flex container was set up the exact same way as every other flex container I'd ever coded. I used an ID selector, connected it to the CSS page correctly, and I'd read it over at least twenty times, yet the code still refused to function properly.

But then, on my twenty-first time scanning it over, my eyes caught something.

In the CSS page, the ID selector that was supposed to read 'flex container', was spelled 'felx container'.

"Oh, for the love!" I yelled, chucking Siegfried across the kitchen and into the living room.

The yellow duck sailed through the air, collided with a wall, and fell to the ground.

Groaning loudly through gritted teeth, I fixed my spelling error and launched the web page again.

It came out perfectly.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and took in a generous inhale, willing my temper to cool. "Should've used Adobe DreamWeaver."

My phone buzzed, giving me an excuse to shut the computer off.

Unknown Number:

«Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Allleeeeexxxx!!!!!!!!!!»

I rolled my eyes and added the number to my contacts before replying.

«How'd you get my number?»

«Aiden gave it to me in case I needed to get ahold of you»

«And why do you need to get ahold of me?»

«I was going to ask if you wanted to do something tonight?»

«Why?»

«Because Sky and Aiden are on a date, Ben is busy, and I'm bored»

«No.»

«Aww pleeeaaasseee???»

«No.»

A loud 'clap' suddenly sounded, making me jump.

Natalie rested her elbows atop the book she'd just slammed on the counter. "I have nothing to do."

I rolled my eyes. "Good for you."

She made a face at me. "I've watched every musical we own, I've read all my books, I've baked every recipe that I have, and I'm officially bored out of my mind."

"There's literally nothing that I can do about that."

Sighing, she propped her head up on her hand.
I watched her sulking expression with no remorse, and she glared back at me.

Suddenly, her glare melted into a smirk, and a spark of mischief danced in her eyes. "Have you heard from Joshua recently?"

"No." I lied. "Why?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, I guess I just assumed that you'd have talked to him since you last saw him."

"The last time I saw him was last night, when Aiden made me go out for ice cream with you guys, which was less than twenty-four hours ago. Why would I have talked to him since then?"