Last Day

CHAPTER 28:

(Ellie's POV)

We all sit there on the beach, watching the sunset and the waves rolling up onto to the sand. It's the perfect evening, and also one of our last here in California, before we have to go back to reality; back to pain and the inevitability of death.

Matt sits in back of me with his arms wrapped securely around my waist. Nash and Delaney sit in the same position as us to our right. The Jacks, Carter, and Levi are all splashing each other like dorks in the ocean. I'm pleasantly surprised to see how well Levi is clicking with them.

Grace sits on a blanket farther down, hugging her knees to her chest, and a small smile playing across her lips. I've had some time over the past few days since the hospital to talk to her, and I actually quite enjoy it. I don't know if she just feels sorry for my situation, or if she is genuinely interested in us becoming closer.

The two people I am paying particular attention to is my sister and Sammy, sitting a little bit to the left of us. They are sitting extremely close and playing with one another's hands. He smiles at her like she is the most beautiful girl in the world. Which in my opinion, is true. Over the past few days, the two of them have seemed to grow very fond of one another. They spend a great deal of their time together, and on numerous ocassions, disappear with one another. I make a mental note to ask her about it tonight.

"This is perfect." Matt says against my hair.

"It really is. Thank you so much for taking me here Matt. I know it didn't exactly turn out as planned, but right now, nothing could beat this moment."

He kisses my head and places his chin gently atop. We sit there for a while, nothing but the sound of the boys playing up the beach a bit, and the waves hitting the shore. The sun soon becomes just a slight orangey-yellow sliver across the horizon, and the air gets colder around us.

"I don't want to leave this place." I say with sadness lacing my tone.

"I know, neither do I. But we have to. You need to get back home to.. Well you know."

"Let's not think about that right now. We're together, with a bunch of our friends, and everything will be okay for now. Let's stop worrying about the future and just focus on right now; Live in the moment." I plead with him.

"Sorry. You're right." a long pause passes between us as the sun no longer shows, and the sky is just illuminated by the final rays passing down.

The boys have left the water by this point and are starting a fire back up at the house. I stand up and offer my hand to Matt. He reaches up and squeezes it tight, as I help pull him off the ground. He comes up and pecks my lips immediately.

"Let's go make some s'mores." He smiles as he leans away, pulling me along with him.

We sit around the fire with the rest of our friends and family, talking and eating the delicious s'mores. There seems to not be a care in the world as we laugh over stupid stories of ourselves when we were younger, and tell corny jokes.

The sun soon is completely set and a light sprinkle of stars spreads against the night sky, the moon overbearing everything. Matt stands up suddenly and offers his hand to me. I gratefully take it, as he leads me down to the beach. He wraps his arms around me from behind as I stare up at the night sky. His chin rests on my shoulder and he hums gently in my ear.

"Oh my God, look!" I screech as a shooting star shines quickly across the sky. "Make a wish.." I say in a whisper.

"That you and I-"

"You can't say it aloud, or else it won't come true!" I scold him. He laughs, but doesn't continue on with his sentence. I watch the section of the sky where it had previously been and think long and hard about what I want to wish for.