After

CHAPTER 24:

(Ellie's POV)

I slowly slip into the back seat of Trinity's car next to Laney. Matt sits to her left and Nash in the front. We haven't said a word to each other since the wedding. He really hasn't attempted to apologize either. An eery silence accompanies us as we drive down the highway to the airport. I steal a few glances at Matt, and almost every time he is looking back.

I feel a pit grow in my stomach as we reach the airport. I had pleaded with them to let me back out of the trip to California, but of course, Laney and Trinity convinced me that this would be "good" for me. I walk around to the back of the car to grab my luggage, and am greeted by Matt holding it out to me.

"Thanks." I mutter in a low voice. I carefully grab it, making sure not to make too much contact with him.

I follow behind the others towards security. After getting cleared, we say our goodbyes to Trinity. I watch her whisper something into Matt's ear, but at this point, I could care less what it's about. Delaney falls behind next to me and leans into me.

"Your seat's next to Matt, just a heads up." And with that she catches up to Nash and interlaces her fingers in his. I feel a pang of jealousy run through me.

After dropping off our luggage, we head to our terminal and through the tunnel to the plane. Nash and Laney sit two rows back from us. I walk to my row to see Matt already at his seat by the window. He doesn't look up as I sit down in my seat. I grab my headphones and plug in my music, not wanting to speak with him anyways. For some unfathomable reason, I feel extremely exhausted and spacey. I had slept nearly ten hours last night after crying for three. As soon as my head hits the backrest, I'm out.

***

"Ellie.. Ellie hun, wake up." I hear someone whisper gently in my ear. I open my eyes to see Matt standing above me. "We're here." He informs me. I nod and ignore the hand he extends towards me, grabbing my carry on in the process.

In my hurry, I trip over the leg of the seat. I don't come crashing down on the carpeted ground as I am expecting to though. Instead, those familiar arms wrap around me and bring me back to my feet.

"You okay?" He asks against my neck.

"I'm fine." I say as I wiggle free from his grasp. I look back to see him with a hurt look.

Serves him right.

I quickly push through to get out of the plane. I stumble through the dimly lit tunnel, the aching sensation of a migraine encases my brain. I break out into the bright daylight of LAX and feel my head spinning. My vision goes black and I reach around, searching for the nearest wall to support me.

"Ellie? Ellie are you okay?" I hear softly amongst the chaos going on in my brain.

And as soon as it had happens, it's gone. I open my eyes to see Matt, Laney and Nash looking at me with concern. They have their arms reached out to me, and I feel annoyance build up in me for some odd reason.

"Can you all just back off? I'm fine. Let's just get to that stupid house okay?" I snap at them. They all look taken aback by my sudden outburst.

"Are you sure you're okay Elle?" Matt asks me.

"God, just shut up and let's ago." I say in an extremely harsh voice.

What the hell is wrong with me?

I hurry away towards baggage claim before anyone can say anything else that might trigger this alter ego of sorts. They keep their distance from me, even as we get in the taxi and head down the freeway towards our rental house. They make dumb Vines and laugh obnoxiously the whole ride, while I sit there quietly, looking out the window at the ocean and palm trees before my eyes.

I look on in confusion as we pull up to the beach house we'll be renting for the next couple of weeks. There are two other cars sitting in the circle drive.

"Who else is here?" Delaney asks my unspoken question.

"Why don't you and Ellie go and find out for yourselves." Nash gives us an encouraging smile and nod. We both stumble out of the car and walk up to the large double doors.

"What the hell is wrong Ellie?" Laney asks abruptly.

"What are you talking about?"

"You were acting so bitchy at the airport. This is more than just your fight with Matt." She stops me from entering the house on the front step.

"I'm fine, honestly. I'm not even sure what that was. That was so unlike me." She nods, not convinced.

Very familiar laughs echo throughout the house as we open up the front door.

"Who's here?" I hear a voice ask. As his figure comes around the corner and walks out into the hall, I squeal and run towards him.

"Jack!" I yell as I jump into his arms. My legs wrap around his torso and my arms around his neck as he spins me in circles.

"Hey gorgeous! I missed your smile." He says as he holds his body against his.

"Ahem." Matt's voice sounds behind us. Jack gently sets me on the ground and goes over to hug Nash and Matt.

"Ellie, it's great to see you." Jack J says as he gives me a quick hug.

"You too." I smile at him.

"So how's Matt treating ya?" Carter asks, coming out of no where. I fall silent, along with Nash, Matt, and Laney.

"Uhh.." I start to stutter.

"I swear to God, if you've done anything to hurt her, I will kill you!" Jack says angrily as he clenches his fists and moves towards Matt.

"No, no, no, we're just in a fight right now..." I say the last part in a quiet voice.

"Oh. I- Sorry man. I just.. Don't want to see my girl hurt." Jack says quietly.

"Alright, so who's up for pizza?" Nash cuts in before something else can evolve. Everyone murmurs 'yes' and the group heads towards the TV room. Matt gives me an angry look as he walks away with Carter.

"Great way to start off our time together, huh?" Jack laughs and slings an arm around my shoulder.

"Yea, you and Matt are gonna have one hell of a time together." I wink at him.

"Hey, but in all seriousness, if he ever did something to you, you'd tell me, right?" He turns my chin so that I'm looking at him.

"Of course I would." I promise him.

"Good. A girl like you deserves someone who will treat you like the princess you are." He kisses my cheek gently, sending tingles across my skin.

"Thanks." I say gently.

He winks and walks in the direction the rest of them had left. I stand there, not knowing what to think of his words. I gently touch the place where his lips had previously been. Something stirs in my chest at the thought of it.

I can't possibly like Jack that way. I'm dating Matt.

The thought swirls around in my head as I watch the sun slowly dip down across the water out the window.

What the hell am I doing with my life?