CHAPTER FORTY TWO: Denial

Start from the beginning

Rei...Bertl...

"It's not like I ever assumed she was on our side!" Jean barked, and I completely understood what he meant. That girl had only ever laid her loyalty down for one person besides herself, and that person was now likely clinging onto the titan's tongue.
"She's clearly hostile! She's trying to help Reiner and Bertholdt! She lured us in!" Armin cried, always on the ball, though it wouldn't take a genius to understand the situation this time.

The trees began to thin out, and I was hot on her tail, refusing to accept the urge to throw up as I swung at an ungodly speed. As the light streamed through, almost blinding, I managed to catch sight of something past Ymir. A certain someone, standing tall upon a branch, arm raised at the ready.

Please...

"REI..REINER..! JUST WAIT..!" I could see his hesitation. The way his butterscotch eyes widened every so slightly, and the way his arm twitched.
"TH..THE OFFER STILL STANDS, (Y/N)..!" It wasn't enough. My vision dappled as that burst of light blew from his body, and just as the white spots began to clear, I saw Ymir and Bertholdt; along with that damned Jaeger, climb upon the armored titan's back as he began to run.

No..! No, I need to understand this..! Reiner, why are you doing this..?!

"Shit..!" Nicholas almost overswung from the edge of the forest, with nothing to grapple to, just like I was doing. "(Y/N), be careful, for God's sake!" I didn't care about anything else at this point. Even so, I knew what would be waiting for me between the air and the ground, but it still didn't prepare me for the pain that exploded in my head when I landed upon Boy's back.

Fuck...I've gotta reach them..!

"You're too fucking reckless, dammit!" Jean was already a few lengths behind me, as was Nicholas and a fair few of the others.
"You're determined as hell..! It's a kind of freaky moral booster, but I'll take it..!" Connie snuffed out Jean's concerns, but I wasn't focusing on them. Not at all. I was focused on armour.

"...by any means possible!" A great distance back, Erwin's orders seemed to flow through the platoons of soldiers, but it shook me to the core. No matter how hard I tried to force myself to be okay with it, I wouldn't be able to let them kill any of them. Not even Ymir, who I never even liked much to begin with.
"I promise...to kill them..."

Over my dead body, Mikasa..!

"Your mission is to retrieve Jaeger! Do not initiate combat with Rei...With the armored, colossal, or...whatever Ymir calls herself..!" I barked, whipping my head around so fast I thought I lost a good chunk of my brain out the side of my throbbing head. Mikasa was almost snarling at me, but even with a scarf the colour of blood streaming out behind her, she didn't intimidate me one bit.

"Whatever it takes! I'll kill them all..!" She hissed back, and I had never wanted to punch someone so bad in years.
"As an acting captain...therefore your superior officer, Ackerman..I order you to avoid combat..! Am I fucking clear on that, you psychotic bitch..?!"

I'm losing it...my voice is all over the place...my head is, too...Pot calling the kettle black...

She never responded, but everyone else's faces told me that they were freaked out by my aggression. Surprisingly, Jean managed to catch up, galloping close to my left flank.
"We've gotta follow the Commander on this one, (Y/N)! Whatever you're thinking, just back off'a it!" He wasn't even hiding the panic in his voice, which wasn't that uncommon, but it was peculiar this time.

"Funny..! Because this time...I'm actually following one of his orders, for once..!" I could feel it. There was a crazed stretch to my features when I looked at him, and I knew it shook him to the core. I really had had the senses knocked right out of me.