CHAPTER SEVENTY EIGHT: Shield

Nothing happened.

I kept my head down, despite the steam billowing through my hair, uncomfortably hot. It was selfish, but I wanted Reiner to hurry up and regenerate, at least to the point where he had a mouth. Then I could beg him for answers.

"Get away from him..!" I flinched when I heard someone land behind me, the familiar voice causing my chest to ache. Instead of scrambling away like any sane person would do, I slowly looked up, meeting Bertholdt's eyes.
"Do you seriously think that I want to kill him..?"

It has to happen...but I won't be the one to do it...

The man glared at me, his entire body tense, hand flexing by his gear, ready to draw his blades if need be. It looked like he was considering it anyway, whether I attacked or not.
"I don't care. I told you to get away from him, (Y/N)..!" Was this really the Bertholdt I had known? He sounded so much more assertive. Brave.

I stood up, but I didn't step away, raising my hands to show him that I wasn't going to try anything funny. Still, he remained ready.
"I was just making sure he was alive, Bertholdt. He spared me, so I wanted to at least return part of the favo-"

When he drew his blade, I raised my hands higher. I had to be careful. One wrong move, and I wouldn't be the only one to die by his hand.
"He should've killed you! I told him, over and over again!" Bertholdt hissed, advancing a single pace. "He wanted to save you, but that can't happen! You, everyone else behind the walls...This is it for you, understand?!"

No, that's the problem...

If I hadn't been aware of the danger he posed, I likely would of pressed him for answers instead of Reiner, but I chose not to. Instead, I motioned to my gear, swallowing thick.
"Th..then, I'll do as you say. If this is what you gotta do...then go ahead, but don't think we won't fight back..." When I noticed his blade lower, just a fraction, I took hold of my own, making sure they weren't pointing towards him. "Y'know, I really thought we had been friends...Sorry for the mistake..."

I held my breath when I launched away, only releasing once I was a great distance from the pair. Attempting to take him down would have been a bad move, and I knew everyone else would agree. Things were looking grim, and I was torn. I knew I had my orders, but I wanted to be on the other side. I wanted to help Levi and the new recruits. I wouldn't feel so confused over there.

Spotting Eren first, I sped over and landed upon his head, crouching and using a strand of his greasy titan hair so I wouldn't slide off.
"That was a risky move, (Y/N)." Moblit addressed me first, and I focused on him instead of Jean's worried gaze.
"I'm alive, aren't I?" I sighed, ignoring the throbbing of my old injuries. "I checked Reiner's vitals. He still has a pulse. It didn't kill him. Bertholdt chased me off. Didn't seem too keen on a trip down memory lane."

Eren plucked me from his scalp and set me down on his shoulder, opposite to Jean, his large, almost beady eye meeting mine for a moment.
"What do we do now..? Bertholdt is a ticking time bomb..." Sasha mumured, fiddling with her cloak button nervously.
"Well, that ticking time bomb is headed this way!"

Moblit directed our attention towards the figure quickly approaching, and Hange drew their weapons again.
"The plan is as follows! Armin, you take control of Levi squad and protect Eren! Everyone else, cone with me! We've got two targets we need to eliminate!"

I was completely fine letting Armin take charge. He was smarter than me, so it only made sense.
"Hange, Armin. I'm gonna go on ahead, back to Reiner. If he's regenerating too quickly, I can put a stop to it." Could I though? Yes, I was sure I could. Emotional attachment or not, this was war, and I had to pick a side. If I was forced to fight, to kill, then I would.