CHAPTER SIXTY FOUR: Accompany

"(Y/N)? Where are you off to?"

Glancing over my shoulder at Sasha to acknowledge her, I turned back to finish checking my horse's girth strap, giving her a pat before dusting off my hands.
"Some cattle were spotted from the east of Wall Rose. Thought I'd go and round them up." I explained, wincing as she began to choke on the bread roll she was eating.

"W..wait, on your own?! There are titans out there, ya know?!" She exclaimed, following after me once I started leading my mount from the stables.
"Yeah? And? I'm not going far. They're close by, and we need all that we can get. Everyone else is too busy, so may as well pull my weight."

Totally not an excuse to be free for a while...

The brunette dashed ahead of me, skidding to a halt in front of the doors and stretching her arms wide across.
"No way! I'm all for you finding something to do, (Y/N), but Maria is dangerous! Especially all on your own!"

I found her concern sweet, yet annoying at the same time. Heaving a sigh as my horse snorted, I reached out and nudged her arm, offering her a reassuring smile.
"You do realise I survived out there for years, right? Alone? It'll take an hour, tops. What, you think I might try to run away?"

It would have been a lie to say that the thought hadn't crossed my mind, but I wasn't about to tell her that. Realising she was never going to be able to sway me, Sasha deflated as she stepped aside, letting me continue on.
"No, but...it's super stupid! Way too reckless!" She continued to call after me, but I just waved over my shoulder to her, eventually climbing onto my horse once clear of the barracks.

Both Rose and Sina needed food. With limited farmland, crops and livestock were scarce, and now that we had welcomed many from the underground, we needed whatever we could find. Not only would fetching the stray cattle be a big win, but I would also get the chance to clear my head.

"Going for a ride?" When I flinched, my stirrups clinked, and I glanced down to my side to see Jean and Armin approaching.
"Uh, yeah. This little lady needed to stretch her legs..." I hadn't named this one. After losing Boy, and being unable to locate Liberty after our felon faze, I just couldn't see the point anymore.

"You do realise you're headed towards the wall, right? There's nowhere to ride." Armin pointed out, and I tightened my hold on the reins as they stared at me expectantly.
"Just doing a circuit. Gonna turn around at the guard post and make my way back..."

When did I get so bad at lying?

Jean cocked a brow as he moved to rub the nose of my mount, and I stood my ground, praying that he wouldn't see right through me.
"Why do you have your gear on?" Internally cussing, I shrugged my shoulders, looking off to the side.
"Ah, y'know, I like to be prepared. Wanted to get some odm training in once I finish up. Don't wanna get rusty..."

Humming in response, it seemed to be enough to appease Jean, yet he stayed put, lathering the chestnut mare with attention. Not only was it frustrating that I was being interrogated, but I still hadn't quite recovered from the little kiss we had shared the week before.

"You? Getting rusty? You're the fastest out of all of us, (Y/N)." Armin laughed, obviously skeptical of my story, but choosing to let it slide. "I suppose we better get a move on, then. We've been asked to lecture the new recruits about flare signals." Giving me a friendly wave, the blond continued on, but the copperet lingered behind.

"So...I was wondering..." He started, finally looking up at me, moving to my flank. "Before things get too heavy around here...and when we actually have some free time...would you maybe like to...do something?"