Chapter Twelve: A Kingdom is Born

Emma

          I could not help but stand there as I watched Derick walk away from me. My knees were light, my head spinning, and I am sure if he had not been holding me, I would have fell right there, in front of everyone.

 His kiss had been so abrupt just now, like I had plans on going somewhere or that he would never see me again. Honestly, a few hours ago, my plans had been to just tough it out and make do with the loveless marriage I believed I was walking into. It had taken everything for me to open those doors, meet Daren to walk me down the aisle, and go to Derick.

          However, when I reached him and he said those lovely words, that he loved me, that I was his and he was mine, I could not have been happier. I smiled at his back. I loved him. So why have I not yet told him how I feel? I knew. Inside, I felt like I was betraying Benjamin, even though I know now that what I had with him was infatuation, not love. We had had plans for our future, and they had been ruined by the most wonderful man I had ever known. What if someone were to do that to us? Braylene? Was he really over his feelings for her? Looking at him seated on his throne, I watched as his face took on a serious look, like he was pondering something.

          “My, he is smitten with you is he not, your highness?” I looked back at the high councilman and his wife. They were both smiling at me.

          Smiling in return I replied, “I believe so,” and then sighing I said, “And I with him.” My face slightly turned red as I realized what I had just said out loud.

          “How sweet it is that our young king has found a woman who willingly wants to be his wife. I was worried about him when we sent him to you. He was not fond of the idea at all,” the council man declared.

          “I can imagine him not. He is rather headstrong, isn’t he?” Touching my lips, I could still feel the intensity of his caress. I looked at him seated on his throne, so regal and composed looking. His eyes, icy blue, found my shining green ones and I watched as they told me stories of how our life would be together, never boring and full of love. That was my husband now.

          “Well, I can see that we are keeping you from where you wish to be, princess, and that is the last thing I wish for us to do. Please excuse us.” The council man bowed as his wife curtsied. “We will see you tomorrow at the coronation.” I smiled and curtsied back and watched as they walked away and found my parents amongst the crowd.

          I cannot believe that they are here. After everything that Derick and I had been through, he still had the compassion to send for my family. He was always doing what was best for me. How could I not love him?      

          Picking up my dress, I made my way to Derick. I smiled as I watched him watch me. It was intoxicating. My body was heated and my breath came a little shallower. What is this feeling I am having? I faltered a little in my steps and then stopped. What would he be expecting from me tonight? We were married now, and I had been told of the things that a man and woman experience on their wedding night. I guess with everything going on, I had totally forgotten the consummation. He looked at me, like he was confused, and then he was off his throne, walking towards me.

          I wanted to move, to walk towards him, but I just stood there, in the middle of the ballroom, staring at him. My knees were shaking, and I could feel my hands becoming wet with perspiration. I could not tell him what was wrong. What would he think of me? He would probably think that I had no feelings for him and that I regretted our marriage. I had yet to tell him that I loved him after all. Why was I waiting? I loved him and he had a right to know, just like I had been waiting for him to tell me. I was just so afraid of what would happen after I admitted it out loud. Would I still be me? Or would I be someone else? A traitor to Benjamin, and my own heart?