Chapter Eleven: A Twisted Word

Derick

          I woke earlier than Emma the morning of our wedding; my guilt had kept me awake most of the night. I had never seen Braylene so hurt and it truly saddened me.

          I left the castle without being seen and slipped away into the village. I was to meet in our usual location to speak with her and explain my true feelings for Emma.

          Ahh, my sweet Emma. I hadn’t brought her with me because she seemed so peaceful once again.

The apple orchard seemed beautiful as always and a decadent scent wafted through the morning air. And there she stood waiting, her blonde hair flowing in the wind.

          “Derick!” She smiled as she called my name. “Good morning Braylene, I trust you slept well?” Pain flickered through her eyes “No, but alas my prince has come.” She laughed.

          I had been her prince, hadn’t I?

          “No miss, you’re mistaken. I have a princess.” I shook my head. “No no, do not be so coy your majesty. I told you I’ve met a man here before.” She paused, “But I do love you so.”

“However, his name is Ben. And he is magnificent and yet so are you.” She brushed her hand along my arm. “Braylene, I’m in love.” I grabbed her shoulders “And yet she does not love you back for she loves another, isn’t that right? The whole kingdom knows.”

          “I love her,” I paused, “It does not matter how she feels about me.” I released her arms just as something rustled around the corner. “I am glad that how I feel does not matter to you, Derick,” She said as she looked at me with a hardened face. “Let us, pray, get the ceremony and reception over quickly, so that you may come back to the arms of your lover. It matters not to me. Make sure you are not late to the altar.”

          She left swiftly and my heart broke inside my chest. Had I already lost the one who truly showed me love? “Emma!” I called out, clutching my aching chest. Tears stung my eyes with pain I’d never felt before.

          I ran as fast as my two feet could carry me and I felt as if it still weren’t fast enough. I was heartbroken, and for the first time I let out wet salty tears. The warmth trailed down my face. I dropped my head as I ran.

          Many of the citizens tried to stop and soothe me, and I had continued to cry in front of my subjects. I still didn’t feel at ease even when the castle greeted me and Artemis was wrapped tightly in my arms.

          When I was younger I had always sought comfort in my only true friend. Artemis always had the best intentions and understood most every situation. My chest racked with sobs as Arte caressed my back with her head. I needn’t sound so weak but I had loved Emma so dearly and she was the first I truly did.

          I stayed there for only a moment, not wanting to be puffy-eyed during my own wedding. I felt much less than a man and I don’t mind to admit it either. I had lost a part of myself the moment Emma had left. I often felt like that when she wasn’t around… But now I felt like my entire heart had been taken from my chest leaving me to feel nothing but emptiness.

          I had somehow managed to make it back up to my quarters where I noticed all of Emma’s belongings had been moved from. Anya, my servant was sitting silently on the bed. “Where has she gone, M’Lady? I beg, please, tell me where my lady has gone to.” I fell at her knees.

          “Lady Emma has moved to the guest quarters just down the corridor. She seemed upset when she asked Lady Rebekah to move her things.” She brushed my hair with her fingers. “Come along, son. ‘Tis your wedding day and you will look handsome when we’ve finished.