Chapter Six: Whisked Away

Emma

          Who does he think that he is? I sat at my vanity and unraveled my loose braid from this morning with shaking hands. He comes to my kingdom, and thinks that he can just order me around? “He did save your life and try to comfort you about Benjamin,” a quiet voice whispers in the back of my mind. Whatever. I don’t need him. I need Benjamin. Benjamin! We are supposed to be meeting tonight. I would have to tell him everything. I groaned.

          Laying my head down on my vanity, I began to cry softly. It was no use. I was to be subjected to the cruel rules of royalty for the rest of my days. Derick already hates me. There is no way that this is ever going to work out. He doesn’t even think that we need love.

There was a slight knock on my door and I hurriedly wiped the tears off my face and continued to brush my hair. “Come in,” I called. Mother opened the door and came inside with a box in her hands. It looked like it was from my favorite dress shop in town.

          “Yes, Mother? Is there something I can do for you?” I said as I looked away from her.

          “Actually, I did have some things I wanted to go over with you,” she said as she wiped the last tear from my cheek, “but first, why don’t you put on this dress? I want to make sure it fits.” She walked over to my bed and placed the box on top of it.

          I gave my mother a long pensive look. I was not in the mood to play dress up with her, but she seemed in such high spirits and I did not want to upset her. Besides, it was a dress from my favorite shop, so I knew that I would love it.

          I carefully peeled off the lavender gown I had on and laid it over the chair to my vanity.  I walked over to the box and found the most beautiful dress on the inside. It was rose colored with small intricate details done in gold throughout. There was dark colored lace along the edges of the sleeves and the neckline came up just enough to be polite.

          I looked at mother and smiled as I put the dress on. Walking gracefully over to the mirror, I took a moment to examine myself. It fit exactly like I knew it would, hugging all of my curves in just the right places; it flowed nicely and had a nice train on the end that exceeded three feet. It would have to be bustled if there was to be any dancing done in it. The color matched my skin tone perfectly, and my dark hair was like an accessory.

          I ran my fingers along the gold details of the dress. They were beautiful. The time that was put into making this dress… I would have to thank Mona myself.

          “Mother, this is the most beautiful dress I have seen since the one I wore for Lukas’s wedding. Thank you so much.” I ran over and gave her a hug that I thought would show my gratitude.

          “Oh my darling Emma,” she said as she smiled and hugged me, “this dress is not from me, but from your husband to be. He thought that you would like a gift.”

          “From Derick?” I said as I stepped away from her in shock. “Surely not! He hates me, Mother. Have you not heard us screaming at each other all day?”

          “I have, and I know that is exactly how your father and I sounded for the first week of our marriage. I am only slightly concerned that you have been so rude to him after he has saved your life this day. Could you not have been more grateful? Did you even stop to consider his feelings on this whole situation? He obviously took the time to consider yours,” she waved her hand towards the dress as her voice took on a more serious tone.