Chapter Seven: The Road Ahead

Derick

Emma pulled her knees to her chest; we had stopped earlier just before the forest’s edge. Artemis had grown too weary to travel any farther. After I had assured Arte was comfortable and resting and I had built the fire, Emma had curled into a ball on the lush forest floor and fallen asleep.

This was the only time I could actually stand to be around her. Since we had left the castle she hadn’t been the slightest bit kind to me. I draped our only cloth over her in hopes to warm her. I looked at her for a moment before she stirred, “Would you stop looking at me!” She yelled.

A frown made its way across my face, “Perhaps I’ll feed you to the wolves tonight you ungrateful wench.” I muttered under my breath. I was in no position to be so rude, but she had pushed me too far. “Pardon?” Her tone was harsh and unforgiving.

“You’re an ungrateful wench.” I retorted as I huffed out a livid sigh. I already couldn’t spend more than a minute with her.

“Do not speak to me in that manner!” She commanded as she stood and took a few steps closer to me. “No,” We were dangerously close as I towered over her, “You do not speak to me in that manner. I’ve tried everything to befriend you and you’ve yet to even give me a chance. I’m done trying to win you over Emma.” I growled in a deeper tone than usual.

Fear coursed through her eyes and her body tensed. Her features suddenly dropped into the saddest look I’d ever seen as she turned around and lay back down to attempt to fall asleep once more.

Had I been too hard on Emma? She had just been ripped from her life and the one she loved, yet I was only focused on the road ahead of us. I frowned at her, wanting nothing more than to apologize for my behavior… but I couldn’t quite bring myself to do it.

She had an unnerving amount of power over me, yet I could hardly be around her without fighting tooth and nail with her.

I shouldn’t have told her about Benjamin and his recent status of pariah. It was a poor decision strictly on my part.

I sighed, accepting that this would be a quiet trip and definitely a silent marriage.

Despite my need for sleep to travel, I was awake most of the night. I would occasionally glance over at Emma hoping she would wake soon. I was right before, she isn’t hard to look at. Her small frame looked as if she would shatter if I were to touch her.

Fragile.

Until she opened that mouth of hers, maybe she’ll learn respect soon. That was rude of me, I’ll admit. But I can never spend my life with someone who refuses to be kind.

I stare up at the lights the sung lullabies against the night sky. This was the only remnant I had of happiness. I would often watch them the nights I could not sleep at home. I looked to them in times of war when I was far from anything familiar with the exception of my dragons.

My father had showed me the lights when I was but a small boy, and they had often been my comfort when his presence was lacking.

Then again, his presence wasn’t the only thing lacking.

My father was not the most caring man I had known. He was often away on duties of the kingdom and had rarely shown any affection until my second brother had arrived.

His travels nearly ceased when the toddler bounced joyously into his life. Unfortunately, my father was far more concerned with having a daughter he could easily marry off to another kingdom for money.

Money.

That was my father’s true love. He held countless balls simply to show off how much we had.