Chapter Ten: Deception

Emma

          I awoke in the middle of the night to find myself chilled by the cold wind coming from the window. The moon was high in the sky, and the stars were twinkling. Derick was sitting beside the window gazing out as if the lights dancing in the sky could answer all of his questions. What could have him pondering so late?

          “Derick, what is the matter? Won’t you come back to bed?”

          “Ah Emma,” he said as he stood and walked over to me, “I did not mean to wake you. Is everything ok?” he asked as he looked intently into my eyes.

          I smiled and ran my fingers down his arm. “Of course you did not wake me, Derick. I was just cold. The air is frigid, and I guess I had not noticed with you laying there beside of me.” I looked away before he could see my face begin to heat. Why was I so shy around him? We had already slept in the same bed for heaven’s sake.

          “I am sorry. I was just admiring the stars. They are so bright and clear tonight. Will you come join me?”

          He held his hand out towards mine and waited for me to take his hand. I slipped mine inside of his as a spark of electricity shot up my arm.  My hand seemed to fit perfectly inside of his as he walked me back over to the window sill. Sitting down in the chair, he grabbed me by the waist and sat me on his lap.

          “Derick, this is not appropriate,” I said as I began to stand up. Although, that was the last thing I found myself wanting to do.

          “Emma, darling, we have just slept in the same bed,” he laughed. “I hardly think you sitting on my lap is the most inappropriate thing to be worried about right now. Besides, in my country, ladies sit on our lap before sleeping in our bed.”

          His cornflower blue eyes continued to sparkle as he looked into mine and laughed again. My face began to turn red again, and I looked away from him as I stopped struggling to rise from him. He had a point.

          “That’s better,” he said as he ran his long fingers down my braid. “Can I take your braid down? I find it a shame to see such beautiful hair always twisted and tied up.”

          I gazed at him for a short moment before I gave a slight nod of my head. He worked his adept hands quickly as he unraveled my braid and proceeded to run his fingers through my hair, occasionally massaging my scalp.

          “Hmmm,” I said as I let out a sigh and closed my eyes, “That feels amazing. I think you should do this more often.”

          A deep rumble came from his chest as he replied, “Are you sure that this is not inappropriate? I mean, I am touching your skin, and you seem to be enjoying it.”

          “Quit being such pain, Derick. Besides, I’ve already slept in your bed, “I said as I smiled.

          “That you have, love that you have. I would not have wanted it to be any other woman but you.”

          I turned around to face him, all humor gone from my face. “You mean that Derick? Braylene looked exceptionally heartbroken at our engagement party. I just thought that you felt the same way.” My voice broke off and I looked away from him.

          Lifting his finger, he turned my face back towards him and said, “When I told your brother that I would care for you that meant all of you. Not just your physical safety. How could I do that while still pining for another woman? That would break your heart, and that my Emma,” he said as he kissed my forehead, “is not something I am ready to do.”