Chapter Four: Swift Arrival

ابدأ من البداية

          Lukas sighed then he came and took the brush off my vanity and began brushing my hair. “Remember how I used to brush your hair when you were little?”

          I smiled. “Yes Lukas, I remember. It was my favorite part of the day for sure. Especially after Mother and Father had scolded me for something.”

          “Just trust me when I say this to you now, as I did when you were younger,” he said as he began putting my hair up for supper, “Mother and Father are just trying to do what is best for you. They love you Emma.” Looking at her downcast face, he added, “I tell you what; I will meet with this Derick, just for you. If he is as bad of a person as you make him out to be, I will step in on your behalf and ask that the arrangement be nullified. If I think that he will treat you well and one day come to love you, I will not intercede. Do we have an agreement?” He finished putting my hair up and placed a pearl tiara on my head.

          He lowered himself on one knee, looked me in the eyes, and grabbed my hands. His hazel eyes were analyzing my green ones, his stare intense. Lukas always meant what he said, and he never went back on his word. He also had this crazy need to protect me, and I knew he needed to know I wasn’t going to do anything foolish.

          I sighed. “Okay, Lukas, I will not run away. I will go downstairs and act like the lady I am. Please keep your word. I am counting on you,” I whispered.

          “You know I always do,” he said as he stood and intertwined my arm with his. Kissing my forehead, he opened the door to my room and we went downstairs to have supper.

                      *      *       *       *       *

          Supper started relatively quiet compared to most nights. The only sound was of silverware on plates and the occasional chatting of Lucas with Rowan. Mother and Father had the grace to not start another conversation about the marriage with me.  My sister Lavinia, on the other hand, did not.

          “So I hear you are to marry the Scottish king. How awful. I hope that the marriage that is arranged for me will be of better taste,” she said as she looked at me with disdain.

          Lavinia had always been such a spiteful person, even when we were children. Being that she is only two years younger than me, we always were with the same group of people, including men who were vying for our hand in marriage.

          “Well, Lavinia, I hope that you make yourself more of an affable person, then, because at current time, I fear no prince or king for that matter would want your hand,” I said as I smiled at her.

          Lavinia looked at Mother and Father who seemed to be all of a sudden finding the entire conversation very entertaining at the moment. Lukas, Rowan, and Sebastian were all snickering, while Demetri was enjoying his meal.

          Lavinia’s face turned beet red as she rose from the table, “May I be excused, Father?”

          “Absolutely not. If you are going to say such things to your sister out of spite, you may sit here and listen to what she has to say. Continue eating. You may leave when the rest of us do.”

          Lavinia immediately looked at her mother who now had a look of disappointment on her face. She sat back down without another word or look to anyone and suddenly found the food on her plate very engaging.

          Clearing his throat, Lukas looked to me, “Em, if you would like, after dinner I would like for you to meet me at the dragon quarters. Just to do some basic training so that when King Derick arrives, you will at least know how to mount.”