CHAPTER 6

ZOE’S POV

                I was in total shock but good thing the nurse treated me with care. She talked to me soothingly and made sure that I had no injuries except for a few bruises because of the impact. Lawrence held me tight… I could remember the save clearly in my mind. He moved swiftly and intense… but still careful of holding me… as if I was fragile like a vase that’s worth a million dollars. And I sort of… kind of… loved it. His brandy colored eyes glimmered with so much passion somewhat like the passion I felt for Jake. It looked like I was staring at a reflection of myself cast straight into a pool of deep, complex thought of passion.

“You seem to be fine now,” the nurse said. “You’re free to get to class… well, if that’s what you want,” Jake was waiting for me… of course that’s what I wanted.

“Okay, I’ll go to class,” I said politely then stormed off the clinic like nothing had happened. As expected, Jake was waiting for me by a locker in front of the clinic. He was leaning casually staring at the door intently.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him.

“Waiting for you,” He replied as he walked towards me with a smile on his face.

“What did the nurse say?” He asked me as he brushed his lips gently to mine.

“She said I was fine. No need to get all giddy about it,” I smiled at him warmly.

“Now let get to class, sweet cakes,” I trotted off to class with him trailing behind me.

He stopped me and held my hand. “Why don’t we ditch?” He gave me a seductive smile and a wink.

“What?” I asked him in disbelief. Where did that statement come from?

Jake was always the nice one and I don’t really get why a straight-A student would ask me to ditch. “I just want to spend some alone time with you… that’s all. And I also want to make it up to you for putting you in danger this morning. It was all my fault and I’m sorry,” He sounded cold, clearly not in the mood for some alone time with me… so what was up?

“No, babe. It was that stupid car’s fault.” I said in defense.

I didn’t think of the incident as his fault. I saw the effort he exerted when he tried to save me. He even stumbled and cried. I wanted to look him in the eye and show how much I loved him but he was looking intently on the floor desperately trying to get away from here. Anyone can sense the awkwardness and separation in the atmosphere but I refuse to give in.

“Cheer up, babe. It’s not your fault. I should’ve looked before I just stood there.” I tried to blame myself.

It was partially my fault. “No,” He said sternly. I held his hand reassuringly and squeezed it tight.

“What was that with Lawrence back there?” He asked looking away.

“What about it?” I asked curiously.