The Professors

Thia learned later that she had spent almost a year and a half at Silverwood Children's Hospital. Her eighth birthday had not yet come to pass when she left the hospital. When she left Silverwood that warm August day, her godmother took her to a large castle. She explained that this where they would live during the school year, and during the summer they would reside in the nearby village.

Soon enough, it was Thia's eighth birthday. Coincidentally, it was also the day the students of Hogwarts arrived to begin their schooling. Poppy woke her just before seven.

"Come on, poppet. We've much to do today and not much time," Poppy told the girl as she dressed in a sunny yellow smock and helped as she put on her prosthetics. Together, the pair walked down to the teachers' lounge for breakfast (there wasn't much point to using the Great Hall when the students hadn't arrived yet). The small room was filled with adults, even Mr Argus Filch was present. Thia hid behind her godmother shyly.

"Hello, Poppy," a professor dressed in amethyst robes called from beside the fireplace.

"Hello, Professor McGonagall," Poppy led her goddaughter over.

"Oh, please, call me Minerva. You're not my student anymore," the witch laughed, green eyes finding Thia, "And who are you?"

"Helianthia Rae Simmons, but most call me Thia," she offered her hand. The fact that it was a prosthetic didn't seem to throw the professor, who shook it with a smile.

"Lovely to meet you, Thia. What are you doing back at Hogwarts, Poppy? Not our new Defense teacher, are you?"

"Merlin, no. I'm the new matron. Thia will be living here with me until she's of age to attend."

"Ah. Well, let's introduce you to everyone." Minerva led them around the room, familiarizing the young matron with teachers both new and old. Thia wandered away, peering over the edge of the buffet-style table. She reached for a muffin, but her arm was too short.

Someone chuckled, grabbing it and handing it to her. Thia took it, looking up at the man above her. She let out a slight whimper. He resembled the man who took her away nine months ago. Thia backed up until she was pressed against the table leg. The man frowned, squatting down so he was closer to her height.

"Are you scared of me, little one?" There was no malice in his voice when Thia nodded. He settled on the floor near her. Slowly, she calmed down, sitting down across from him.

"I'm Antoni Gaysa," He said, keeping his voice soft and friendly. Thia swallowed her bite of muffin.

"Helianthia Simmons. Most people call me Thia." She pulled her legs to her chest.

"It's nice to meet you, Helianthia. What are you doing here? Most family members of the staff remain in Hogsmeade," Professor Gaysa explained, naming the nearby village.

"I live here now. With my godmum," she murmured, eating another bite of muffin.

"Who's your godmum?" Thia pointed at Poppy, who was busy chatting with Professor McGonagall and another teacher. Antoni nodded, smiling slightly as his eyes flicked over the matron.

"Do you know why you're scared of me, Helianthia?"

"You look like a bad man I knew." A frown creased her forehead, and the fear was back in her warm brown eyes. The teacher noticed and produced a wand from his pocket. Silently, he cast a spell, and a silver cat burst from the tip. It walked up to Thia, purring and butting its head against her chin. She giggled.

"That is called a Patronus," Antoni explained, "They're good for chasing away bad thoughts."

The eight-year-old decided she liked this man, no matter how much he resembled the man who had kidnapped her. The cat rolled over a few times before disappearing. Antoni stood up, offering a hand to the little girl. She took it and he led her over to Poppy.

"There you are, Thia! We need to go make sure the Hospital Wing's all in order. Say goodbye to your friend." Thia switched so that she was holding her godmother's hand.

"Goodbye, Professor Gaysa," she said respectfully. The man smiled down at her.

"Bye, Helianthia. And call me Ant."

Antoni Gaysa

"Well, little one, I believe you're going to change the world

"Well, little one, I believe you're going to change the world."