The feeling of someone wanting to know me washed over me and made my heart warm up.

I reminded myself then that he didn't know me. 

If I'd ever let him, he would probably wish he hadn't met me. I couldn't put myself into that position. 

Of being rejected.

Of having my mother's predictions come true.

He raised the curve of his mouth to a half-grin, as if he'd read my thoughts. If only he could read the darker thoughts, circling in my mind like vultures. He'd despise me. He'd think I was weak, pathetic. Small.

A clear-but-soft-sounding voice pulled me back out of my thoughts once more. Ryker's voice. "Spell-casters are humans who have found ways to tap into the little magic flowing through them by channeling it with the magic in the earth."

Reagan's gaze left mine and rested on Kendra shortly, before he continued to glance at his brothers. "Basically humans that suck life out of nature so they can show off." 

The tone his voice had taken to wasn't one I would call overly-friendly. It was sharp and judging, not leaving much room to argue with.

"Why do you want to know who our spell-casters are?" I asked, going back to the question they had not yet received an answer to.

I wasn't sure we were even able to provide them with one, unless Kendra knew something I didn't. Reagan's facial expression changed from unmoved and hard to slightly taken aback for a mere second.

It changed back so fast I wondered if I had imagined it.

Instead of answering my question, all four brothers remained abstinent. They had answered all of our questions but this one, which suddenly reminded me of where we were. It was like a lever had been pulled inside of me and I suddenly became aware of my surroundings. 

The bubble had popped. Reece and Emmet were both expecting me to return home soon with news on who I had talked to about leaving. As of now, I had only spoken to Kendra—the most important person—but there was still Holden to consider.

We hadn't been very close lately, but he still had a place in my heart. Leaving him behind... Well, I would survive it, but I wanted to at least give him a choice.

As if I'd just woken from a trance, I pushed back the chair behind me and grabbed my Maecena's arm. She looked at me, completely bewildered.

"We have been here long enough. Whatever it is you're trying to find, we don't have the answers to what you seek. Best to try your luck elsewhere," I said, directing my gaze to Reagan at my last sentence.

Reagan's jaw tightened visibly, instantly causing the hairs on my neck to stand up. I stood, and Kendra reluctantly followed my lead. As soon as I thought about walking out of there, an electrifying sensation tickled through me.

Reagan's eyes widened as our gazes met.

I realized what it was.

Desire.

Desire so strong, it had to be related to our link. It had no other reason to exist. Then again, what if this was really meant to be?

Dante seemed lost in his own moment with Kendra, and Ryker watched on with impatience.

A strange cloud suddenly materialised in front of my eyes, creating a hazy atmosphere that sucked my consciousness into it without hesitation. 

Feeling lightheaded, as if my consciousness was slowly withdrawing to the back of my mind, my limbs moved without my consent. I tumbled a few steps, frantically trying to hold on to some of the chairs I managed to get a hold of.

I blurrily saw myself step away from the table and I noticed Kendra's head turning to look at me, but the more moments passed, the further away I went. Muffled sounds reached my ears, though they couldn't be processed properly.

What is going on?

I felt bile rise in my throat and my stomach churn, as if I was suddenly terribly sick. Then dizziness followed and I floated into the distance, while suddenly, the voices appeared again. Whispers.

Pounding.

Searing pain.

More voices.

"Catherine," I heard clearly, a beautiful voice pulling me back ever so slightly. 

Why did it sound concerned? Was something happening? Maybe I was just dreaming. I saw darkness, but it wasn't completely black. There was a fuzzy picture in my mind, like lots of tiny grains of sand blocking my vision.

Yes, a dream was what it was.

What a strange dream... I felt my body touch something hard—probably the floor—but the impact didn't hurt. There was no pain. Only dizziness.

"Cath......erine..." And the voice grew smaller, with an echo sounding in the distance, along with the other voices. The damn whispers...

I can't make out what they're saying...

Are they warning me?

Then the world turned pitch black, and I was further away from my body than I had ever been.

Chapter Question: Why do you think Catherine fainted? Any theories on what's going on?

Reader Question: What's the current book you're reading? (Besides The Ancients) Like a paperback book, if any?

I'm not, I usually get books at the airport and read them on the flight or during my vacation. I bought THE best books at the airport. I should read more when I'm at home but I get caught up with work and responsibilities, friends etc.