xxxx. enouement

"Enouement: The bitter-sweetness of realizing how things end, but not being able to tell your past self."

~ ~ ~

Sam chewed on her lower lip, shivering against the cold as they stood on the cliffside, eyeing the railroad below.

She was almost too cold to be terrified of height at which they stood. Almost. Her heart still thudded against her chest, trying not to look straight down. It was a long, long fall. One she doubted anyone could survive.

Bucky stood beside her, whistling as he glanced down. He frowned, leaning back. "Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?"

"Yeah." The blond grimaced, shooting them a glance back. "And I threw up?"

Bucky eyed the way down again. "This isn't payback, is it?"

"Now, why would I do that?"

Bucky laughed humorlessly, sitting back on his heels again. He gave her a long sideways glance and Sam managed an amused smile. "Not gonna throw up, are you, Barnes?"

"Would you still marry me if I did?"

"In sickness and in health, remember?"

He snorted, kissing her on the head. Sam gazed down the zip-line when static crackled to their side. Gabe muttered something, looking up from the radio beside him.

"We were right, Doctor Zola's on the train. Hydra dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle." He pressed his lips together. "Wherever he's going, they must need him bad."

"Looks like he's going to miss an appointment," Sam said, straightening her shoulders. Bucky reached for her hand, gripping it firmly.

"Let's get going," Falsworth said. "Because they're moving like the devil."

Steve slipped his shield over his shoulders, turning to face them all. If he was nervous, he was doing his best to mask it. "We only got about a 10-second window. You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield."

Sam winced.

"Mind the gap," Falsworth chuckled. In the distance, a train whistled. Dum Dum grinned, clapping her and Bucky forward.

"Better get moving, bugs!"

She shot him a dark glare. He beamed back.

Steve leaped forward, zip line whirring. Pressing one last kiss against her lips, Bucky turned, shoving off the cliffside after him. Sam forced herself to move. She swallowed hard, taking a breath. I am the Phantom. I am not afraid.

She jumped.

Snow and icy wind slapped against her face. The world moved so fast, she nearly didn't drop off in time, realizing the train was quickly appearing beneath her. Her mind screamed in denial; but she let go, pressing herself against the train.

Bucky shot a glance back. Nodded once.

Boots slipping on the wet metal, Sam pushed herself up, following after him to the ladder. They quickly climbed down and ducked inside, Steve slamming the door closed behind them.

Suddenly, the frigid air was gone. She relaxed a little, gazing around.

The train car was completely silent. Empty. She glanced over at the two, raising a brow. "Maybe nobody's home?"

Steve didn't look convinced. "Can you head to the front? Find Zola and take him down. You'd have the best chance. With being able to... well, you know. Do everything you can do."