xxxxii. ghostwalking

"The goodbye is the hardest part, when we find ourselves back at the start. But I'm not so brave, and I'm not so smart, no." -- Despicable, grandson

~ ~ ~

Sam planted her feet, gazing at the Hydra base beyond. They'd gone over the plan a million times but she was still jittery with nerves. This was it. The final battle.

Steve stepped beside her. "You ready?"

"This is what we've been fighting for since the beginning, isn't it?"

"It is," he looked over at her. "You make it out, Samantha. Bucky would kill me if I let anything happen to his favorite soldier."

Her heart twisted. "I'm not dying today."

"Then we'll get drinks after?"

She raised a brow, chuckling despite everything else. He offered a small grin back and she shrugged. "Well, we're gonna have to find a new pub first."

"I'm sure there's something in Brooklyn."

"Brooklyn," Sam gazed back forward. "We could get milkshakes."

He smiled and nodded, not quite understanding the pain the words came from. Drawing a knife from the leg of her uniform, Sam turned toward his bike. "I trust you know how to drive this thing?"

"Well enough."

"You're not going to get us killed?"

"I don't plan on dying today."

She rolled her eyes. "Real wise cracker, Rogers. Remind me why I didn't go with Dugan?"

"Would he really be much better?"

She had to give him that one. Steve pulled himself over the motorcycle, tugging on his helmet, and tossed her one too. Sam tugged it over her braid, climbing over the bike behind him.

"It was this or swinging off a cliffside," She grumbled. "And I hate heights."

"Ready?"

"Let's give 'em hell."

Steve revved the bike and they were off. Curving down the forest path, they attracted attention in mere seconds. She threw a glance back, spotting a group of Hydra soldiers on their tail. 

"Am I gonna get shot in the back?"

"Here!" He passed her his shield and she yanked it over her shoulders, seconds before gunshots ricochetted off the vibranium. Swinging around, she returned fire. One man went down, cutting off the path of another. She shot out the tire of the third and he went into the nearest tree.

"I thought Stark said he amped this thing!"

"He did!" Steve pressed a button near the handlebars and two lines of wire shot from the sides of the bike. Only a few of the remaining soldiers managed to duck it, the others going flying off their bikes. Sam blinked.

"Well, that works."

He pressed another. Fire spat from the ignition, taking down the remaining few at their backs. Sideways, though, two more riders came out of the trees. Steve grunted.

"I'm going between them."

Sam smirked. She had an idea.

The second they rode within touching distance, she pushed off the back of his motorcycle, kicking off one of the riders and swinging over his bike. She yanked sideways, knee skimming on the ground as it nearly tilted over.

Steve kicked the other man off his bike and he went flying. Revving faster, Sam rode up to his side, shooting the man a grin.

He shook his head. "Damn you, Samantha."