Gasoline (Bucky/Reader)

You wake up screaming. You were used to this after almost 20 years of waking up from the same nightmare every single night. You always remembered the dream, how could you not? It was a memory: the night your parents were killed by the Winter Soldier.

You had been at home, sitting at the kitchen table doing your homework. Your dad was in the kitchen making your favorite meal when your mom came running in with a gun. She was screaming about how everyone had to leave, about how they had to get you out of there before it was too late.

She was screaming until a bullet went through the back of her head and she fell face first to the floor.

A man with a metal arm and a mask on his face appeared in the doorway. Your dad pulled a gun out of nowhere and told you to run. The only problem was you were frozen in your seat, staring at your mom and at the blood pooling around her head.

When you look up, your dad was falling to the ground with the same hole in his head. The metal-armed man turned to you. He raised his gun, aiming it at your forehead but before he could pull the trigger, sirens sounded and flashing lights were visible through the windows. The man looked at them for a few seconds before slipping silently out of the back door. That's when you screamed in horror and how you always woke up.

At the time, you didn't understand why your parents were killed or who that man was. That was before you learned that your parents had worked for SHIELD. Your father had been the target as he was the head of the science department. He had been on the cusp of inventing a technology that would be able to destroy the world. Your mother had just gotten in the way.

You hadn't been aware of your parent's significance until you were in your senior year of college. You were working at a bakery in D.C. to try to pay off your already looming student loan debt when a black man with an eyepatch walked in and asked for introduced himself as Director Nicholas Fury of SHIELD. He told you about your parents and apologized for their death. He asked if you wanted to join SHIELD, saying that if you were even half as good as your parents, you would be incredible.

You had told him to give you a week to think about it. You ended up accepting his invitation, deciding you wanted to work in the scientific division as a chemist.

At 24, you became the youngest person to ever run the Biochemical Weapons lab.

At 25, you were the only person to survive an explosion in the lab you were running.

One second you had been helping one of the interns write the correct chemical formula for Ethylene glycol and the next you woke up in the hospital with a pounding headache. You didn't go back to work for almost six months.

A week after you came back, you had been absentmindedly daydreaming on your lunch break. You were busy thinking that another explosion would destroy another lab. It was only until you found yourself being shaken out of it by Director Fury himself that you realized something was wrong.

You allowed test upon test to be run on you as everyone tried to figure out what you had done. It turns out that what you had been thinking up in your head was being seen by everyone else as though it was actually happening. You ended up calling it Reality Creation. The chemical explosion had given you the ability to create an alternate reality within your own. You could make people be in a situation that wasn't even happening. They would be living that reality until you dismantled it.

Nick] had wanted you to switch to the field agent side of things. You refused, happy to be working in your lab and ignoring the very existence of your powers. You didn't want to hurt anyone. That all changed when Loki arrived on Earth You joined the Avengers, figuring you could help save the world and then go back to manufacturing biochemical weapons in peace when it was all over.