Chapter 57: A Long War, A Tough War

Start from the beginning

After his conversation with Annie, Winters had bumped into Margot and offered for the two women to come down and watch the final surrender of the German Army at the airfield. "You two worked twice as hard as anyone here to be a part of this war," he had said to them. "I think you've both earned the right to see it through to the very end."

Walking over, dressed in what Margot could only guess was his very best attire, the German General gave a nod toward Winters before turning to Lipton. "With your permission, I would like to address my men briefly."

"That'll be fine, General." Lipton agreed.

With another nod, the General turned back and marched to the front of his patiently waiting troops. As he did so, a familiar face appeared, bringing back both fond and not-so-fond memories. Sobel made eye contact with Winters, but when he was saluted to, did not salute back and instead averted the many gazes on him.

"Captain Sobel," Winters called out to the man who used to make his life a living hell. 

Looking over for a brief second, Sobel sighed. "Major Winters."

"Captain Sobel," Winters said again, this time stopping the man in his tracks. "We salute the rank, not the man." 

Exhaling hard, Sobel turned to face Winters and gave a salute; the expression on his face showing just how unimpressed he was. Winters saluted back and before anyone could say a word, Sobel was off again, eager to get out of there as soon as possible.

Watching as the defeated Captain sulked off, Liebgott smirked, thoroughly enjoying the site of someone finally being able to, in not so many words, tell Sobel where he could stick it.

A few moments later, the German General began his speech. Of course, he was speaking in German, so no one knew what exactly he was saying. Thankfully, Liebgott was there to translate.

Resting his gun against the jeep, Joe tucked himself in beside Annie and listened carefully. "Men, it's been a long war, it's been a tough war," he began to translate the best he could as Speirs wandered over from somewhere to listen in. "You fought bravely, proudly, for your country. You are a special group, who found in one another a bond that exists only in combat among brothers. You've shared foxholes, held each other in dire moments, have seen death and suffered together. I'm proud to have served with each and every one of you. You deserve long and happy lives of peace."

Annie smiled softly to herself at the speech, knowing that every single word spoken could just as easily apply to Easy Company as well. Hell, it could apply to any company in any war from any country; and yet, it didn't make the sentiment any less special or true. 

There truly was a bond formed between brothers—and sisters—of war that was so outstandingly unique. It wasn't something you could come across naturally or by accident; it was something that took years of building—years of teamwork and bonding and sharing the worst moments of your lives together. It was something that, once you had it, you never lost.

Looking out at the rows of German soldiers, Annie felt something she thought she never would: sympathy. It was at that moment that—even though she had been aware of it the entire time—she finally processed the fact that the enemy she had been fighting this entire time was just like her; they were people too. They had families and friends, they had lost comrades, and just like her, they wanted nothing more than to go home. Just like her, this fight wasn't their own, but nevertheless, they had put their lives on the line for it. 

It was a truly surreal feeling, realizing that in many ways, you were no different than the enemy. 

"I'm proud to have served with each and every one of you," Annie repeated some of the General's final words, her head turning to look at the people around her. "Beyond proud, in fact. Honoured."