Chapter 43: Ten-Hut!

Wandering into the CP, Margot scanned the room full of men that would be going on the patrol with her. Thankfully, the group consisted of a lot of good troopers that she trusted, like Liebgott, Shifty, Popeye, Grant, and Babe. It had been a while since Margot and Babe had been forced to use their M1 Browning, so she was looking forward to fighting alongside him again. 

Lieutenant Jones was leaning by the doorway, his eyes focused straight ahead at the wall. Margot could tell he was trying not to pay attention to the conversation that was happening around the table; the conversation about him. 

The men were mumbling among themselves, not very quietly or considerately, about how they did not trust the Lieutenant to lead the patrol. Margot, however, wasn't worried in the slightest. She knew he wouldn't be leading the patrol because she was supposed to—she and whoever else Winters decided. 

Along with the inexperienced Lieutenant, Vest and Webster had also been selected, and Margot knew she would have to keep an eye out for them. Webster had no doubt been chosen as a translator due to his ability to speak German—thank you, Harvard—because he was on the more skittish end of the weapon-handling spectrum. This was rather confusing, however, because Liebgott was also present, and he was fluent in the language as well. Then there was Vest, and even though Margot adored the sweet man, he hadn't done much more than deliver mail during his time in the service. 

"Everyone is looking rather thrilled," Margot commented on the sullen expressions throughout the room. "What's the matter? Don't feel up for a midnight stroll into German territory?"

Grant huffed as he pushed his chair back and lifted his feet onto the tabletop. "Not if we're following some greenie from West Point," he retorted. "Can't believe he's leading this thing."

"He's not leading this thing." Margot decided it would be best to inform the men before they said something stupid in front of Winters or, God forbid, Speirs. "I am. Me and some other lucky sonofabitch."

"Hey, that's great!" Liebgott smiled, his tone laced with sarcasm. "PTSD Princess is way better than Last-Ditch Lieutenant over there."

Margot rolled her eyes as a few of the men snickered, but she was more than used to the constant ribbing between herself and the men of the company. "Oh, Liebgott," she sighed as Cobb, Garcia, and a few other men entered the room. "After tonight, I won't be the only one with PTSD."

Liebgott wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. "Is that a threat or a promise?"

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"Ten-hut!" Jones announced suddenly, startling Margot as she was too busy staring down Liebgott to notice Winters and Martin stroll in.

The men jumped to their feet, but Winters immediately dismissed them. Margot locked eyes with Martin and he gave her a small nod, indicating that he would be the one leading the patrol with her. Margot was relieved; not only was Martin a good soldier, but he was a good man as well. She knew she would have no problems working with him. 

"Gentlemen. Woman," Winters greeted the group. "As you can see we've assembled fifteen of you here for this prisoner snatch tonight, 0100. Just a couple of points. Secured four rubber boats to get you across the river. Lieutenant Jones here is the ranking officer, and he'll be along as an observer. Sergeant Martin and Sergeant Kessler will lead the patrol. The whole Battalion will be covering your withdrawal. We've identified targets, we've planned fire for 'em." Winters pulled two whistles out of his pocket and handed one each to Martin and Margot. "We hear these whistles, we open up. So don't blow 'em 'till you're back in your boats with your prisoners."

Martin folded his arms across his chest. "And if the house turns out to be empty, sir?"

"It won't." Winters was confident of that fact. "But in any case, we know it's an outpost and want it destroyed, so you'll have to lay some demo on a time delay. You have to move fast but carefully. Put a perimeter around the house. Once that's in place, get your rifle grenades in the first-floor window. Get your assault team in quick. Remember, it's about prisoners. Don't pop the first thing that moves. Clear?"