Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Hello!" I stared at the young boy who said hello to me. He was scrawny, not at all like a Viking, with brown hair and green eyes. I kept staring at him. It was not because I found him interesting, but because nobody ever talks to me, or acknowledges me. I was a nobody to the eyes of the village people, even if I am the Chief's daughter. "What do you want?" I murmured. The boy smiled. "Nothing much! My dad and I are just visiting this island for 2 months." Then he points at a man chatting with my father. "You see that man over there? That's my dad!" I looked more closely at the two men. They were laughing like old friends finally meeting after many years. The boy's father had red hair and a red beard that spread across his chest, unlike my father that had dark brown hair and a shorter beard than the other man. I turned back towards the boy. "The man your father is talking to is the chief of this village, and my father." I flinched when I said the last part. Whenever I say to someone new visiting that I was the chief's daughter, they would laugh. But the boy didn't. Instead, he said that it was cool that both our fathers are chiefs of a village. He then started saying that he felt like he didn't belong in his village, that the kids at his village picked on him and the adults made fun of him. I realized that he was like me, someone who didn't fit in. And maybe, just maybe, we might become good friends.

________________

A s t r i d

"Wow, that's really weird." I said after Hean said that we had the same last names. We were walking back towards the village, with Hean holding my hand tightly.

After that, we became silent. Hean was admiring the forest, and I was focusing on getting back. When the village came into view, Hean pulled away from my hand and ran towards it. I ran after her, wondering why her parents were visiting Berk.

Hean disappeared around a corner, and I hurried up my pace. When I rounded the same corner, I saw Hean hugging a woman, probably her mom. She has blond hair, the color exactly like mine, and emerald green eyes. I tore my eyes away from Hean and the woman and looked behind them. Stoick was talking to a man I haven't seen before in Berk. He had dark brown hair and a short beard. His eyes were blue, like the color of the sky. I'm guessing that's Hean's dad.

I started to quietly back away from them, not wanting to ruin anything, but Hean spotted me. She pulled away from her mom's hug and ran towards me. She grabbed my hands, then pulled me towards her parents and Stoick.

Hean shouted at her parents, "Mom, dad, I made a new friend! Look!" They all looked towards Hean, and then at me. We stood there in silence, staring at each other, until Stoick spoke up. "Astrid! Come here! Let me introduce you!" Hean pulled me towards him, and I walked slowly over. She stopped all of a sudden and let go of my hands. Stoick now stood in front of me with Hean's parents beside him. Her parents were staring at me, a confused look in their eyes like they were trying to remember something, but can't.

Stoick then introduced me to them. Gesturing to Hean's parents, he said, "This man over here is my good friend Jarl, and his wife Freya." Then he gestured to Hean. "This young girl here is their daughter, Hean, as I presume you already know." I smile at Hean's parents, and they smile back, with a hint of sadness in their eyes?

Just then, a black blur zoomed through the air, casting a huge shadow on us for a second. When it landed, I saw that it was Toothless with his rider, a masked figure, sitting on him. The figure got down from Toothless's back, and lifted the helmet away from his head. He shook his auburn hair loose, his emerald green eyes shining in the sunlight as he stared at someone. I realized that he was staring at me, and I gave him a small smile. He grinned in return.

Hiccup walks up to me and puts an arm around my waist. "How's my beautiful ray of sunshine doing?" He then kisses my cheek, and I try not to blush. It was embarrassing when in front of someone, especially people who I hadn't met before until today. I was about to introduce Hiccup to Hean and her parents when Stoick lightly pushed Hiccup and I away from each other. "Wha-" I started to ask why he pushed us away, but Stoick interrupted. "I'm sorry, Astrid, but you and Hiccup can't be a couple any more." I stood there in shock, replaying his words over and over again. We can't be a couple any more?

"Why?!" Hiccup and I both shouted in unison. Stoick then sighs and turns to Hiccup. "Because, Hiccup is betrothed to someone else. And that person is Hean." Shocked, I turned towards Hean, only to see the same shocked expression on her face.

"What! No! I don't want to marry someone right now! I'm only 9!" Hean shouted to her parents. I nodded my head, and so did Hiccup. Stoick looked at us with a sorry expression. "I'm really sorry, but it's the only way to join our two tribes together. We had an agreement years ago, but I forgot that we even did. Now that Jarl has reminded me, we're holding a wedding ceremony when Hean grows older. So from now on, you two are not allowed to see each other unless I give the permission to."

My heart shattered to pieces right then and there. I backed up slowly, resisting the urge to punch something. Hiccup started to come towards me, but I turned around and ran back to the forest. Just like I did when the kids in my village bullied me when I was little...

I stopped in my tracks. What did I just say? I searched through my mind, trying to remember, but I couldn't. It was like something was blocking me from remembering.

I heard shouting coming closer every second I remained standing still. Shaking my head, I ran deeper into the forest, struggling to not scream my heart out.

________________

A/N

It was a boring chapter, right? I'm not good at details. *Sigh*

Stoick has forgotten the agreement he made with Jarl, but is that the only thing he has forgotten?

Plus, the italicized paragraph in the beginning is part of the past.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed it!
(Next chapter will probably be in Hean's POV)
*walks to corner and tries to think of something better*

>.<

-Aria