Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Hey, Astrid..." I heard a weak voice above me. When I looked up, I shrieked and fell onto the ground. There was quite a tall tree next to me, and the person who hung upside down on one of the branches wasn't part of it at all. "Um, can you, maybe, help me down from here. Please." Hiccup begged, flailing his arms around. Sighing, I looked around, making sure no one was within viewing distance. We were both in the forest, so it wasn't likely there would be anyone else around. Satisfied, I began climbing up the tree and crawled onto the thick branch Hiccup's shirt was stuck on. I unhooked the shirt, then heard a 'thud' below me. "Thanks, Astrid" Hiccup said as I jumped off the branch. I ignored him and stalked off, leaving him standing there alone.

________________

A s t r i d

"Astrid, I'm back! And I have news to tell you!" Hean excitedly exclaimed.

"What is it?" I asked, curious of what she was going to say.

"That you are my sister!" Hean said as she tilted her head sideways, smiling a bright smile.

I froze in place as my mind slowly processed that. If she was my sister...then...then.... No, it wasn't possible, I mean, I don't remember ever having a sister.

"Here!" Hean thrust out her arms. A mini notebook rested in her outstretched arms. "This is proof I found back in Netherland."

I grabbed the notebook out of her arms, and opened it.

________________

Past Few Days - Netherland

H e a n

Squeezing my eyes shut, I opened the cover of the notebook.

A piece of folded paper fell out and onto my lap. I set the notebook down, then picked the folded paper up. Unfolding it took a few seconds; it was actually quite large.

On the paper was a mapping of Netherland, with exact details and all. Dotted all over the map were locations the maker of this map probably journeyed to. This person had gone to almost all of the four corners of this island.

Placing the map down, I picked up the notebook once again and started reading it.

April 3: Day One - Sixty days left

The leader and his son of a Viking tribe a few islands over came to Netherland to stay for two months. Today, I befriended the son; his name is Hicc. I wonder if there is something wrong with him. He didn't care whether or not he was going to be humiliated by the village kids; he still stayed with me even after he found out I wasn't liked very much by this village.

I am actually really happy, but I'm not good at showing emotion. Hicc is one of the only friends I have right now. I hope better days are in sight for me.

Astrid Hofferson
--------------
April 15: Day 13 - Forty-eight days left

Something incredible happened today. Yet again on a daily basis, Hicc and I went around the island searching for adventures. We were at the arena on the edge of a cliff, when a blurred object came flying past above us. Hicc and I wandered into the forest in search for it, when the world started to spin and we both collapsed, from what I heard from Hicc and my own perspective while comparing our different experiences of the situation. Before I fell into a dream-state, I think I saw a dragon that wasn't identified by anyone yet. When we woke up, we realized that we both had dreams that seemed like it was real at the moment.
Maybe it was that dragon I saw, or maybe it was just a mirage and we were just tired.

Well, better leave it for next time.

Asty H.
--------------
Most of the entries in this diary were in a similar format. I quickly skimmed through to the last page, and when I looked at it, it was different from the other entrees.
--------------
Two Years After Hicc's Departure: Goodbye, Netherland

Today is the last day I will be writing in this diary. I've decided that I had enough of this village and its inhabitants. I can't take it anymore, with everyone pretending I don't exist. It's lonely here. Today, I'm going to leave this island for good.

If anyone finds this, I'm almost definitely sure that the person must be trying to search for me. If that person happens to meet me, I'll just say this once.

Please don't remind me.

A.H.
--------------
I closed the diary, unsure what to do next. Should I follow her wishes, and not pry more into her memories and life on this island, or should I show this to her? I was conflicted between the two, but decided to choose the latter. I needed her to realize it. Maybe it's because I wanted her to remember, no matter how sad it is, or maybe it's my own selfish reasons.

I placed the diary and map into a satchel I brought with me, and quietly snuck out of the house, blending in with the crowd that was enjoying the festival.
________________
A s t r i d

I refused to believe any of this, even if this diary is right in my hands. Even if I faintly recognized these adventures in the entrees. Still, I couldn't remember any of this ever happening.

A sharp pain struck my head, and I screamed. I couldn't remember anything! I don't want to remember! It's too painful to, like something was keeping me from unlocking the tightly chained up memories in my mind by inducing pain.

"Astrid!" Hean yelled and ran to my side. I tightly clutched the diary, and ran away from the harbor, and from reality.