Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

H i c c u p

I felt myself running towards something I couldn't quite place. I was dodging trees and jumping over roots. This place was probably a forest, and we were deep inside. There was someone beside me, keeping up with my pace, an excited grin on her face. "We're catching up! It's just right there!" the girl yelled out. I followed her gaze, and noticed a brightly colored tail weaving in and out of the roots on the ground. Eyes widening, I realized we were following a dragon. I glanced at the girl again, and noted that she had deep blue eyes and blond hair. Strangely, she looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place a name on her. Suddenly, she turned her head towards me, and grinned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I jolted awake on my bed, bright and early in the morning. Quickly, I reached for the leather journal that was placed beside my bed, and grabbed a writing utensil to jot down my recent dream. Again, the dream happened in an unfamiliar place, but always right beside me was the young girl with deep blue eyes and blond hair. These dreams happened every night, but I never understood what the importance of it was.

It took me a few minutes to write it all down, and by then, Toothless was already hopping and pounding on the roof of the house. I smiled inwardly as I tossed the journal aside to quickly change for the usual morning flight with Toothless. I grabbed a small satchel and threw in a few snacks for Toothless and myself. Today was the day we tried out our new stunt, and I was all up for it.

I ran down the unbalanced steps of the cottage, giving a quick greeting to my dad as I rushed out the door. Toothless came bounding down from the roof, and gave me a sloppy lick. I laughed as I shook off the dragon's saliva.

"Good morning to you too, buddy." I greeted as I scratched Toothless behind his ears, much to his pleasure. Toothless bounded around me as I prepared for the flight. I slipped on the satchel, attaching some latches to keep it from flying off. Lastly, I pulled on a helmet to protect my face from the freezing wind. Satisfied, I motioned for Toothless to stay still. He skidded to a stop, waiting for me to climb on.

I stepped onto Toothless's back, and strapped myself to the saddle attached to his back. After double checking everything, I sat up straighter. "You ready for this, bud?" I asked my best friend. He grunted his approval, opening his midnight black wings for take off. I adjusted the metal stirrups with my metal foot, opening up Toothless's prosthetic tail fin.

Toothless grunted in excitement as he took off into the air. The cool morning wind blasted into my face, whipping past the brown locks of my hair. I whooped out loud, lifting my arms above my head in the process. It was always so thrilling to enjoy the feeling of flying, no matter how many times it happened.

After circling the island of Berk once, I landed Toothless on one of the towering pillars of rock just outside the island. "Okay, bud." I leaned down to look the dragon in the eye. "We can do this!"

The glint in Toothless's eye was all I needed to know that my best friend was just as excited as I was. Settling back into position, I prepared for our new stunt. I took a deep breath of confidence, before letting it all out with a determined yell. A second later, I once again opened Toothless's prosthetic tail fin, and with a flap of his strong wings, we took off into the air.

We were getting closer to the right height to perform our trick when I heard a loud snap. Eyes widening, I looked down just in time to find the metal straps once intertwined with my suit broken. Before I realized what was happening, I slid from Toothless's back and began free falling through the air. The night fury yelped out loud before he too began falling through the air.

My eyes snapped up to meet Toothless's eyes, knowing that I was too far from him for him to be able to catch me. He growled in frustration, folding his wings to let him fall faster. I gave a weak smile up to him before I felt the impact of my back and head crashing against the edge of a towering rock, and went tumbling into the darkness of the ocean.
________________

Third Person POV

A group of four walked along the edge of the beach, kicking at random things buried half way in the sand. They were all thinking the same thing: the visitors that came to Berk weeks ago. Ever since then, their friend Astrid had been distancing herself from the gang. Their other friend, Hiccup, wasn't in any better shape.

One of the teens, a boy with long blond hair, kicked the sand towards his twin sister, irritating her. She kicked some more sand at her brother, thus starting a battle of sand kicking. Behind them, a bored groan emitted from a lanky boy with tufts of black hair that sprouted out of his Viking helmet. "This is getting boring. What are we even doing out here so early in the morning anyways?" Snotlout grunted out loud, kicking his own pile of sand.

Another boy, this time taller in height and bigger than the rest with short blond hair, ignored Snotlout's question. He knew what they were doing here in the first place. They were supposed to be scouting the seas for enemies without the help of their dragons. Fishlegs had thought they were getting too dependent on their dragons, so he made up a plan to get them away from the dragons. It wasn't turning out as great as he had planned, but at least it worked.

The four continued on, oblivious to the fact of the incident with a certain boy and his dragon this morning. That was the case, until Ruffnut silenced them all and pointed towards a body lying on the shore. They ran as quick as they could towards the body, and when they got close enough, a look of recognition and worry flashed upon all their faces.

Their breaths hitched when they noticed the redness of the sand surrounding Hiccup. Snotlout was the first to approach their friend, looking scared for him. The rest began to follow, and soon enough, circled around Hiccup. Fishlegs knelt down, and placed his index and middle finger to his friend's neck, sighing out in relief when he found a pulse. It was there, but pounding weakly against his fingers.

Fishlegs motioned for Snotlout to help him carry Hiccup back to the village before his condition worsened. They carefully lifted the body off the ground, desperately praying to Thor that their friend would survive this. Fishlegs and Snotlout rushed off as fast as they could, with the twins trailing behind them.

When they returned to the village, a few adults awake this early in the morning noticed the unconscious boy in Fishleg's and Snotlout's arms. "What happened to him?!" one of the adults bellowed out as they rushed him to the main hall.

"We don't know! We found him unconscious on the shore!" Ruffnut explained nervously, running alongside her brother, Tuffnut. She was truly scared for her friend. What if he didn't make it? What if he never wakes up?

Ruffnut quickly shook these thoughts of hers out of her head. Hiccup was a strong person, and she knew that he would get through this. Hopefully. She once again pushed her doubts away, focusing more on the situation at hand.

When they arrived at the main hall, the growing group of people barged through the doors, disrupting a meeting currently taking place. The leader of the island, Stoick, looked up to see his unconscious son. Alarmed, he rushed over to the two boys carrying his son, and scooped him out of their arms. Stoick rushed over to the huge table at the center, and propped his son onto it.

The few adults who went to retrieve medical supplies returned, and they began fixing Hiccup up. They took off his leather armor, and gasped at the sight underneath it. On his back, a huge gash went from his left shoulder all the way to his right waist. A huge bruise covered the back of his head, and dried blood caked in his brown hair. A few more cuts and scratches littered his skin, but nothing too major.

The four friends looked away from Hiccup, not wanting to see their friend like this. As the few adults patched him up, Stoick took the time to approach the four. "What in Thor's name happened to him?!" he angrily asked the gang, earning four winces in return.

Fishlegs warily spoke up. "W-we don't know, sir. He was like this when we found him at the beach." He was honestly scared of what the leader's reaction to this was going to be, but Stoick only sighed.

"There is no use to ask if no one knows what happened. You four should take a break and rest for the day. This is going to take a while." Stoick suggested to the four before turning his attention back to his son.

The four friends decided to do as their leader said, and left the main hall, all the while wondering where Toothless went.
________________

A/N: This was the longest chapter I've written in this story so far... Well, hope you enjoyed! >.<