The Jump

After Cap's pep talk, Tony and Peter are transported to a rocky terrain. There is a thick mist that covers everything and it takes a second before either of them notice the hooded figure in front of them.

The most off putting feature of the figure is not his red skin, but his skull like face. His deep voice rings through Peter's eardrums and Tony listens intently.

"Welcome Peter Parker, son of Richard and Mary, and Tony Stark, son of Howard and Maria. In order to take the stone you must sacrifice what you love most. A soul for a soul."

Peter glances at Tony, Red Skull's words haven't taken full impact yet. "What are you supposed to be?" Tony demands and Peter is surprised at the lack of nicknames.

"A guide," he said simply and begins to walk towards a slim path that leads up the mountain.

Tony glances at Peter with regret radiating off of him. Why is it the kid who had to come here?

But it's too late now and Tony already made up his mind: Peter will be the one making it off Vormir alive.

Tony wants more than anything to just tell Peter to stay here and wait for the soul stone. But Tony knows that Peter isn't naive enough to not understand what a soul for a soul means.

He keeps feeling Peter glancing at him, looking for confirmation or something but Tony doesn't know what to say. For once in his life he didn't have an arrogant or sarcastic comment to add or a clever nickname for that red bastard in front of them.

They follow Red Skull wordlessly, careful to keep a few feet distance, and Peter can't help but sneak a few glances at Tony. He can't help but wonder what Tony is thinking, his face is giving nothing away but pure determination.

But Peter has other things clouding his mind, and it isn't of the narrow steps they were climbing. It is of what Red Skull said, A soul for a soul.

Peter visibly shudders, he doesn't want either him or Tony to die. He had spent the past few nights daydreaming about winning the war and finally having Aunt May and Ned back.

But that can't happen without the stone.

He glances at Tony again, he is looking straight ahead of him but his eyes seem to glaze over in thought.

The more Peter thinks about it, the more he realizes he wants Tony to survive more than he wants himself to.

Tony has a kid now, and a wife, he has more to lose than Peter, and the only things Peter has left are all just daydreams about the possible future. But that future isn't likely, he doesn't remember the exact numbers but it seems like a gajillion to one.

Peter desperately tries to read Tony's face but it remains solid and unwavering. Peter can't help but think that Tony is only trying to stay calm for him.

That's when he decides: Tony will make it out of here alive.

The echoing footsteps start to become deafening to Peter, he has to say something.

"What's going to happen?" Peter asks, despite the brave facade he wants to put on he can't stop his voice from quivering a little. How could he not be scared, he is going to die.

Tony looks at Peter for the first time in minutes and he feels his heart clench at the obvious look of fear on his features. He can't lie to the kid, so he gently places a hand on his shoulder, the only comfort he can think of. "One of us will have to die for the stone, kid. And that one if us is going to be me so sit tight and wait for the stone, you got it? Good."