Chapter 18

Kevin Meets Lessele

Kevin headed for Darden's office to find out what the spy insects were reporting.

As he entered the office he said, "Darden, can we look at the past several hours of the spy insect reports? I am sure the government leaders are furious, seeing how so many police have defected and their rockets didn't damage to our base."

Darden agreed and together they approached Lessele, a beautiful Elysian woman with big blue eyes and long blond hair, who smiled at Kevin when he walked in. She acknowledged Darden but kept smiling at Kevin.

"Hi, Kevin. I saw you at the meeting yesterday and you sure are impressive." She then turned to Darden. "Sir, how can I help you?"

Darden asked to see the feed from the spy insects in the church-god's office. Lessele moved her hand across the console and the monitor showed four scenes. Kevin pointed to one and said, "Let's listen to that one."

There, all ten church-gods had gathered around the table. The old, fat leader was talking to the police-chief, Jallex.

"Sir, you know we can't win. I have only a few hundred officers left. Almost all of my men have gone home to be with their families. They no longer want to fight," Jallex said.

"Kill these rebels, Jallex. Kill them all," the false god said, his voice shaking with anger.

"We can't. The marchers outnumber my officers, your bombs did nothing to harm the moon base, and you have no other options available. I can't go on doing this. I have a family and they want an end to this. They want a new government, new leaders and freedom," Jallex said, almost in tears. "I will no longer serve you and I am going home to be with my wife and children. If you are a god, perform a miracle and save your own ass."

Jallex walked from the room, and the old man screamed after him. The ten church-gods stood, fear on their faces, because they no longer had Jallex to protect them.

Kevin looked at Darden, "Are we ready to offer them a way out?"

"Yes," Darden said, "but how can we reach them?"

Kevin spoke silently with Elee, then said, with his voice low and authoritative, "Gentlemen, this is Kevin, a revolutionary from Earth. We bring you peace, forgiveness, and a way to be free."

The church-gods, in total shock, couldn't understand where the voice came from. Darden didn't entirely understand either, but he accepted Kevin and Elee's skill as an article of faith. The old man fell to his knees and cried, "Oh, God, forgive us for our sins. Please do not kill me, God."

"I am not God, but I am a messenger," Kevin continued. "I will not kill you or put you in prison. You must leave the city now; go perhaps to your country homes. An announcement will be mad that you and the other false gods are no longer in charge. I suggest you go now, because the people of Elysium are out for blood, and we may not be able to stop them. Gather your families and leave at once."

"Thank you, Thank you so much. Please forgive us." the old man sobbed as he and the other false gods gathered themselves and started out of the room.

Kevin looked at his friend, then he said, "Darden, make the announcement. It appears our mission has succeeded."

The two hugged and laughed... Darden wept with joy. As he turned toward the door he said, "I have so much to do, Kevin. Thank you. Oh, God, thank you. We won! We won!"

Darden continued yelling "We WON!" all the way back to his office.

Lessele turned to Kevin and said, "Congratulations on a job well done."