Prologue

Three black spaceships hovered over the jungle, their pilots looking for a suitable location for a human colony. They had found wild jungles, deserts, oceans and vast areas of ice, and were now over a wooded area next to a grassy area where mankind can survive. A river ran through the grassland and into a fresh-water lake. Because this is a temperate zone, there would few temperature variations and the farming here should be excellent. After many weeks of searching, perhaps their long trip would soon be over. The lead ship's captain suggested the other two move back into a higher orbit while his crew took readings for the report.

While the ship descended and landed, the other two stayed above, hovering. They hover without moving as if frozen in space. The newest ships available, with computer systems that thought and were almost human, these ships defied the force of gravity.

As the ship landed, five pilots walked down the steps and away from it, in two groups. They held small instruments for studying the plants, animals and chemical composition of the soil.

Sanjah, the captain, said, "Let's get these readings; I sense we are being watched."

"Don't worry. There is nothing on the instruments." said Jardex, the science specialist. "It's your nerves... from our last stop and that giant snake. Did you ever see a snake that big?"

"No, and I don't wish to encounter another. We are too close to being able to head home to be taking any chances," Sanjah replied.

The four men continued their investigations as six huge lumbering reptiles circled them. The reptiles, working as a team, were getting ready to take down their prey.

"What was that? I thought I heard something," one man exclaimed.

"It's just a bird," Jardex suggested. "There were many when we landed; however there are none now."

With their razor-sharp teeth glistening in the sunlight, the reptiles continued to sniff the air, and move closer to their next meal. They glanced back and forth, snorting.

In a flash the creatures charged from all directions, teeth bared and thick saliva running down their mouths. Jardex saw them first and turned toward the ship to run. Then his captain screamed as the creature sliced him in two.

"Oh my God," he cried. "Run!"

As Jardex bolted past the reptile, it took another chunk out of his captain's bloodied body; and now there was no head left and Jardex realized he was dead. As he ran he heard two more horrific screams from his crew mates.

"Oh God, help me. No ... no." Then there was the chomping and crunches as the reptile finished his meal.

Jardex had never seen someone die like this. Frightened for his life, yet still amazed at the raw adrenaline he felt at seeing this carnage.

He yelled to the ship, "Elee, open the door, we have trouble! There have been deaths and I don't know how many survived."

The door opened and, as he ran up the steps, a bloodied hand grabbed his shoulder. He spun around in fear and saw that Angela, the only female on the mission, was behind him. She had a large cut on the side of her face and was bleeding from her arm. She was alive. He pulled her up, pushed her into the ship and looked toward the woods.

"Elee, is anyone else alive?" Jardex asked the ship's computer.

"No, my monitors show only the two of you. I have contacted the other ships and they are returning. We cannot leave until they arrive because I need someone to take Angela's place while she recovers. You cannot fly alone."

"Yes, I know. There were too many pilots off the ship. It was a huge mistake, and we paid a high cost."

Inside the ship, Jardex took cloth with liquid antibiotics and cleaned Angela's wounds.

"Are you hurt anywhere else, Angela?" he asked.

"No, did you see how that monster ate the captain? It was so horrible. God, it was sickening," Angela said, crying.

"I know the two of you were close. They were also my friends. With God's help, we will get through this. I fear we have lost them Angela."

Looking at the beautiful landscape displayed on the monitor, Jardex softy said, ", at the present time, this planet is not suitable for humanity."

The communication system crackled. One ship had landed and asked that the door open. Angela checked the monitors and saw there was no monster outside. She opened the door and Rohen jumped up the steps. Elee moved back into space. This last day of the mission had been a disaster. There were three members of Elee's crew dead. The week prior, four other crew members died in an explosion on an active volcanic planet. Now, only eight pilots remained of the original fifteen.

Elee said, "You cannot return home via the time-jump portal with all three ships. You need nine pilots to jump; therefore, one ship must stay behind."

"Yes," said Rohen, "we have discussed it and I am sorry, Elee, but you will not be returning. Since all but two of your pilots perished, we will leave you behind."

"I understand. Do not worry. I am a machine," Elee said.

The crew chose a shallow ocean they had investigated, flew to the spot, and created a large hole in the limestone at the bottom of the ocean. They agreed to bury the ship, so no one would ever find her, even if the ocean dried up and they could not return. The pilots told Elee to lower herself into the hole and place her systems on hold. After a layer of stone covered her, she would go into a sleep mode, revived only when a human pilot's hand touched her surface to wake her.

With sadness, the crew of the two remaining ships said goodbye to Elee, and started their flight home. Their report stated that this planet is not safe enough yet for humans, and in 50 million years the pilots should make a return visit. With the report filed into the records, Elee whispered, "Goodbye my friends." And then she slept.