𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬

After our parents died, me and Ponyboy started getting nightmares. They're really bad.

Darry and Soda decided to make me and Pony sleep in the same bed at first, because they figured it would stop them. It didn't. I'm not sure why, but it made the nightmares ten times worse. Maybe it was because we don't really get along, or maybe it was the guilt that I carried for never trying to get along with him.

So now Soda slept with Ponyboy, and Darry made me sleep with him. I usually slept on the floor or couch, even though the bad dreams always stopped when I was with Darry, and he would yell at me if he caught me having a nightmare because I wasn't with him.

"I'm almost eighteen! I can sleep by myself!" I always yell.

He usually responds with something like: "Good, then you can move out." Whenever he says stuff like that, believe me when I say it gets to me.

I was broken out of my thoughts when I heard glass shatter on the ground.

"Shit!" I heard Soda yell. I rushed in to see what happened. One of the last good plates we owned, was now in pieces on the floor. I rolled my eyes, and returned to my spot on the couch.

"Ryleigh, you could help him clean that up instead of storming off like that," Darry said walking into the kitchen to help him clean it up.

I shrugged as I thought of something to say. Sometimes I say certain stuff just to get a reaction out of Darry. " 'Could' is the key word here."

Surprisingly, he just let out a deep breath. He seemed to understand what I was doing.
"Ry-" Sodapop started, but Darry interrupted him. "Just let it slide little buddy."

Soda spoke up again. "I was just gonna say it's Ryleigh's turn to pick Pony up from school."
"Right," I mumbled, as I started out the door and into the truck.
———————————————-
psa: I am NOT trying to make Ryleigh sound like a bitch!! It's just her personality, and she's really struggling to hold her true self back.