1. The Reaping

I'm in a forest. Birds are singing around me while squirrels scurry up and down trees. I look around and see a small pond, where a deer is drinking the water. I inhale the fresh smell of flowers and smile. Nature is really beautiful.

Suddenly, somebody lunges at me from behind a bush, holding a huge butcher knife. They pin me to the ground, holding the knife at my throat.

I wake up screaming. I look around my room and when I realize, that there's no one lurking behind a chair to kill me, I relax a little.

Then I remember what day it is.

The Reaping.

Since I'm 15, I've been to three Reapings. And even though it was a relief to not get my name picked, I was very sad and scared for the people that did.

I'm from district 3, so I know quite a lot about technology. That wouldn't be very useful in the games though, except that one time when one of our victors, Beetee, won by electrocuting tributes with a wire trap.

If I would be in the games, I wouldn't stand a chance against anyone. I'm small for my age and definitely not strong. Someone could easily snap me in half like a twig without blinking an eye.

Although my dad once secretly taught me how to use a dagger, so if I would be chosen for the Games, I wouldn't at least be completely helpless.

I get up and go put on my outfit. It's a pale pink dress with fake white pearls around the neckline. I put my long brown hair into a high pony tail and pull a few strands out in the front.

When I walk downstairs, I see my little brother Elliot crying in my mother's arms. It's his first reaping, so I understand his fear.

I'm not really the comforting type, so I quietly go into the kitchen, where there's already breakfast on the table. I eat my bread and a little cheese with it and gulp down some water. I always drink a lot when I'm nervous.

On our way to the town square, where the reaping is held, Elliot is holding my hand tightly. I look at him and squeeze his hand reassuringly.

"Look, there's nothing to be afraid of. The chances of you getting in are so slim, they're practically non-existent. Just trust me on this, okay?" I say to him.

"Okay." He smiles at me weakly and I return it.

After we sign in, I point Elliot to the 12 year old group and then go join my friends in the 15 year old group. We try and have a normal conversation, but it's hard, considering what's about to happen.

As the crowd begins to quiet down, Clariss Twinkle, a weirdly dressed woman, climbs up on the stage with a microphone in her hand.

"Happy 74th Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor," she says in that ridiculous Capitol accent. I look at my friends, who are all rolling their eyes.
Then we watch the video about the Dark days that everyone has seen about a thousand times.

When it ends, Clariss goes to the glass ball full of names and announces, as everyone expects, "Ladies first!"

I hold in my breath and cross my fingers.

"Ehm..," she clears her throat, "Jeneah Monteno."

I feel like don't have enough air, but also have too much air. Or as if someone kicked me in the stomach. Either way, I'm shocked.
I notice a path has been cleared for me to the stage. I look back and see my father holding up my mother, who is sobbing uncontrollably. I look at Elliot too, and he is clearly in shock, completely pale and stiff.

As I slowly walk up to the stage, people stare at me, but then quickly look away when I notice. "Come up dear, don't be afraid," I hear Clariss say, but don't really acknowledge it. Out of all the people in the district it had to be me. Why? Well I know that I'll definitely be a disappointment to my family and friends. But what can they expect?

I'm already on the stage when I hear Clariss say "Now, the boys." I cross my fingers and pray to God that it's not Elliot. If it would, I don't know what I would do. I'd try to help him win, I guess. I wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice myself for him.

"Rade Dorne."

I let out a huge breath. I don't know him, but I seem to recognize his last name, tough I don't know where from. He's quite skinny and small with chocolate brown hair and hazel eyes. When he comes up, I shake his hand, which I realize is really strong.

After that, Clariss literally shoves us backstage into separate rooms. I wait for a minute or two and then my family rushes in through the doors.

They're all crying, and even though I was trying to be strong, I finally let all my emotions loose. We hugged tightly, occasionally someone mumbled some tip, but I wasn't really listening.

"I love so much, Jeneah. I know you can win," my dad tells me. "Find a dagger, I know that you're pretty skilled with it. And don't forget water."

"Dad, I'll be fine. Trust me. I'll try to win. For you," I tell them.

"I know you can win. You have to. What would I do without you?" Elliot says between sobs.

"I'm just happy that you're not there with me. I will try my hardest to win," I tell him.

"Love you, my baby girl," my mom cries after me when they're being pulled away. "Love you too! Bye, I'll be fine!" I call after them, but the door already closed.

Then Clariss comes and escorts me and Rade to the train. We get in and I look out the window as my whole life is being left behind.

What did you think of the first chapter?