Chapter Two

Verity's POV

A necklace. A heart-shaped silver necklace, resting against my chest. "How long, before I can see you again?" I asked him in a whisper.

"Soon," he told me determinedly.

"Don't forget about me, okay?" I said teasingly.

"I won't," he promised, and his voice was surprisingly earnest.

I bit my lip. "This is... to remember me always."

I reached to my neck and undid my necklace. I looked up into his eyes and did up the necklace around his neck. Then he grabbed my hands and softly kissed my forehead.

“I will always remember you,” he whispered into my hair.

I woke with a start. I was almost certain that the dream wasn’t a dream, but a memory. I memory of... my boyfriend. It must have been. The frustrating thing was that I couldn’t see his face, no matter how much I tried to dredge up any memory of him.

I reached for my neck instinctively. I didn’t even know where that action came from – maybe it was related to something about my boyfriend? The necklace from my dream, perhaps? The silver one, with a heart dangling from it... maybe it had comforted me, made me feel safe, during the time I had owned it. How I wished I had it now.

“Ve, are you okay?”

I turned to my side to see Harry watching me worriedly. “Yeah, I’m fine,” I said with a feeble smile. “Don’t worry about me.”

“That’s what you said before I left to tour, and look what happened!” he sighed. “You got stuck in a burning building...”

“Haz,” I said suddenly, needing to know. “I used to have a silver heart necklace, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, you did,” Harry said, surprised. “Why? Can’t you remember? Are you... forgetting about other things too?”

His urgent, freaked out voice made me giggle a little. “No, I think it was related to my boyfriend. Maybe that’s why I’m forgetting.”

“Oh.” His voice was relieved and worried at the same time. “Well, what do you want to know? I’ll see what I can tell you...”

“Did I... give it away?”

He shrugged. “I’m not sure, I think so. I stopped seeing you wearing it after a while. You think you gave it to your boyfriend?”

“Yeah, I do,” I said, getting more and more excited by the minute. “If I can find the necklace, I can find him...”

“Ve,” he said quietly. “I’m sorry to point this out, but... what if he doesn’t have it anymore?”

I stopped bouncing excitedly and frowned slightly. “Why? You think he lost it?” Then I realised what Harry was saying and my eyes widened, only to be replaced by an angry look. “Harold, he didn’t give it away. How could you say that?”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Harry wailed. “I guess I was being a bit harsh there. Of course he’ll still have it. I’m just stupid.”

“Agreed,” I said contemptuously. “So, how do you suggest we find the necklace?”

He shrugged again. “I don’t know, why are you asking me? You were the one who just called me stupid.”

“Wrong,” I corrected him. “You called yourself stupid. I merely agreed.”