Chapter 3

The sun warmed his skin, like a hand caressing his cheek, as a soft breeze blew over the camp, carrying the scent of sweet flowers. Percival opened his eyes, surveying the grass clearing in front of him, his neck stiff from the position he had fallen asleep in.

"Merlin?" he yawned in a post-sleep daze, only to feel a body shift beside his and sigh against his shoulder.

"That's my name, don't wear it out," a gentle smile followed Merlin's snarky comment and the Knight grinned.

"You know, I half expected you to be awake and fishing again."

The warlock shook his head, "No, not this time, unfortunately."

Percival stood slowly, leaning the boy against the tree, "Is there anything we can do for the pain?"

"Not from what I can tell, I have lost a lot blood though. I should be able to do something for it when we get to Camelot."

"You, Merlin," a voice rang out from the left of the couple,  "Aren't doing a single thing for that hand at all, never mind before we get back to Camelot. Leave it to the experts."

Merlin looked up to past the blinding sun, to see who was talking. If he was more awake, he would have recognised him by voice alone. "I'm pretty sure I'm the only medical professional here, Gwaine."

"That's may be true but that doesn't change the fact."

"What fact?" Merlin raised an eyebrow at his friend, a teasing tone into his words.

"The fact that you're an idiot," came Arthur's call, as he walked up to the two, with a water skin and a bowl full of mushed up berries and apples.

"God, Arthur. How restrictive is your vocabulary?" the dark haired man quipped as he gratefully took the food and drink offered to him, passing the waterskin to Lancelot who was now stood next to him.

"If you weren't on the brink of infection right now, I would have you put in the stocks of the first town we pass by on our way home," Arthur retorted, which was followed by a resounding 'ow!'.

"What was that for?" Arthur questioned while rubbing his head and turned to Leon, who was stood a foot behind him, leather riding glove in hand.

"Be nice to him, sire. He saved your bloody arse and now he's got a bloody hand."

Arthur huffed in annoyance and turned his back on his fellow knight, who offered Merlin a wink over his King's shoulder. A warmth filled Merlin's heart as he took his first bite of food with a true smile on his face.

Merlin ate half of it before offering it to Gwaine. The man tried to deny it but with the look of determination on Merlin's face, he was hard pressed not too. The knights began to clear up their scattered camp and supplies. A glance from Gwaine to Elyan had the other man sit on the other side of the warlock, restraining the man from getting up and helping. Merlin scowled at Elyan and then Gwaine before huffing and taking a swig from the waterskin.

"Good, you're learning," Lancelot smiled and patted his knee, earning another scowl.

Gwaine ruffled Merlin's hair, leaving a smattering of grass blades in it.